Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: The February 2012 Tutorial Discussion

That would be, "Curly, Larry, and What's His Name"?

You clearly did learn something, stygg...that's a fun little piece and I'm thrilled that you did a variation on the original.

The only suggestion I'd offer is that the little ball that does the clockwise thing behind #1 and #2 in the foreground needs to arc up and over, instead of making a linear transition. I'm not sure how easily this could be done without the XAR file, and certainly not worth it if it doesn't bother you, its creator. I hate it when others step on my personal expression, so I try to be mindful of this with others.

Here's a larger-than-necessary animated GIF I did a long time ago, drawing in with Xara, to work the squash and stretch as a cycle across the screen:

>>>Ball bounces across stage<<<

There were just too many creative possibilities with Xara's animation engine to ignore it as a tutorial. It would be easy to create two or three more in the distant future, if there's an interest.

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for your comments Gary and that Gif is great. I myself would like future tuts. on animations if just to be a bit more knowledgeable on the subject, I know I can read it up but nothing beats being shown as in your vid. tuts. As regards stepping on my personal expression, well I have no problem what so ever with that so I've uploaded the file and if you get time, I would be grateful to be shown the movement you mentioned, after all if you don't ask you won't progress

Best regards
    Stygg
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've attached your file with a minor tweak here and there, stygg.

I need to add a frame, and still not mess up the overall animation: frame 2 is a duplicate of frame 1, where I eased the 3 balls in front down a little and then used frames 1 2 and 3 to "arc" the tiny ball instead of dashing mid-air to the right between 2 and 3.

I also reduced the first duration to .1 seconds to smooth out the transition between the last frame, frame 1 and then 2.

I think your idea is very funny without a verbal explanation. It's just old-style entertainment, where no intellectual play on words needs to be made or anything, your variation is just funny and entertaining.

How's about we return to animation late summer 2012?

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for taking the time and adding exra input Gary, much appreciated. I will try to expand on what I've learned up to date and look forward to more on ani. late summer.

Stygg

It's not perfect, and perhaps you'd like to take a further editing session on what little I did to improve it, stygg.

The tiny ball, what as a character I consider the hero of the animation, has no visual reason for returning screen left after its apogee. See, as the audience I can buy into the ball bouncing up and the the right because perhaps before I started watching, it was tossed into the scene from screen left.

So I need to see a visual reason why the tiny ball eventually comes back to frame 1. An obvious fix would be to put someting like a plank sticking out of the ground for the tiny ball to bounce off in frame 5 or so.

Ideas?

I'm encourage that you and others like this sort of stuff.

Because in a small way it reflects a current trend on the web to feature video and animate stuff!

My Best,
    —Gary

I don't have any ideas except that the tiny ball looks and acts like one of my favorite toys, the paddle ball. Where the ball is attacked by a rubber band of sorts and is being jerked back to it's starting point.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This sounds like a bonus tutorial for the month, Larry.

Attached is an illustration of a paddle ball.

Knock yourself out, so to speak. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paddleball.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	87479

Gary

I'll see what I can do with it Gare, it may take me awhile though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It's open to everyone and there is no time limit on the Xone, Larry!

I want to fill everyone's heads with playful inspiration, not anxiety over deadlines.

Let me say in advance that the illustration I put up here won't work as is in an animation. You'll need to do some simplifying, but I wanted the illustration up in case a paddleball is a regional toy or one that is only remembered by a specific age group.

Surfing around for an image to draw from, interestingly, it's being revived as a nostalgia toy.

Which is totally depressing because I have to admit to owning an original when I was a child in the Mesozoic Era.

—Gary

Just made one more alteration to give the small ball a reason for returning to frame so to speak.

Stygg