Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Favicon conundrum.!

I read page 447 of the DP 7 manual over and again.Making my favicon would be easy,i thought.The first attempt...i dropped my icon directly onto my home page,clicked all the relevant boxes,then attempted to veiw the result.At first i didn't realise this couldn't be done in IE8.I then downloaded and tryed with Firefox...BINGO.But then i was left with the favicon icon just off page on the homepage...so i deleted it.When i deleted it,the favicon stopped displaying!!!Could any please tell me where exactly am i to place the favicon?(on its own page perhaps?).I mean,i have the favicon designed,but just dont understand where i should place it.
    Thankyou in Advance. Josh.

Default Re: Favicon conundrum.!

Hi Josh

You should be able to place it anywhere and not see the icon in preview or browser as long as it is named "favicon".

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Hi Josh

You should be able to place it anywhere and not see the icon in preview or browser as long as it is named "favicon".
    Unfortunatley i can still see the favicon that i dropped onto my webpage.Thats when i decided to delete it,as it had already been converted.But when i did this,the favicon then disappeard to from its proper place.I can't tell you how dis=heartned i am with this now.

Hold on a moment...Im not reporting the truth here.Actually,yes,you are right...i can't see the favicon in preview or browser mode(not over my web page,but where it should be).But surely its not good practice to have a dirty great icon over a web page,looking all out of place an all ?Could the favicon not be give its own personal page?At least it won't leave my webpage looking all untidy and not right.

Josh.

You can put it on its own page but then that page will be included in the sitemap when published and will be indexed by the search engines. To de-clutter your screen you can put it on its own invisible layer.

If you place the favicon image your using "offpage" ie outside of the viewing page it doesnt appear on the uploaded page if you have "clip images" set? so it shouldnt be a dirty great icon all over your page?

all i do with mine is drag the image i want to use onto the background, right click and "name" the image favicon and thats it the only time your should see it is when your in editing mode.

or am i missing something?