Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With all the brouhaha over logos and designer’s fees, I’m surprised there isn’t a greater force out there advocating open source design similar to open source software. Lots of programmers spend their precious free time writing quality software and distribute freely under a license. This license basically says: use it, copy it, modify it, even make make money off it as long as you didn’t claim to create it and any changes you make are made public for others to improve upon. This idea can be adapted to design; it probably isn’t new, but it’s radical the traditional way of thinking. Will it hurt designers and take away business? Not necessarily. Open source software isn’t crippling commercial software. Could it be revolutionary? You betcha! But not if we stick with the “I and only I own the rights” and “pay me for my services” mentality. If you don’t want to participate, don’t. If you think it’ll destroy the market, well, it’s regrattable that you think that way.If this idea is a miserable failure and this thread gets no replies, then it’s a shame that we could miss out on a great opprotunity.

Lets hear your arguments and flame away, I have a hose ready.

To get us started I present this public domain design: the circle

“Software is like sex: It’s better when it’s free."
    Linus Torvalds (Creator of Linux).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    creativesuperhero.ca

Alex, the cool thing about your idea is we can build on top of ideas and give back to the community.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generic_brand_name.gif 
Views:	371 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	19868  

.. you can consider my pig-floating-on-a-raft-with-a-cup-up-tea-with-an-ubmrella in the "public domain" and improve it all you want... We can call it "Ristox".

You can change:

- the way he smiles
    - the angle of the umbrella
    - his twinkiling eyes
    - you might even come up with a brilliant color scheme!
    - hey if you are really smart you could even add another joint to his arms and legs!!! - That would make a stir in the "Ristox world" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Linux - are a set of rules which you can play around in - not outside...

Art - does not have any rules - you create your own "language" on the go...

To even compare the two is... grrrr... gnmmpggg... artghh... SILLY [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

Look at that Alex, we already have 3 contributions to the cause.

... another language, called "Ristox" in that pig... not even "Linux" is that open...

If I was as of an open source as Linux, we would have a club that would decide which changes would be allowed... and so far the club would be me and my 4-year-old... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But how about all the other languages, Rossux, Steveus, Garyux... are you part of those clubs - rgremill?

Actally, each art work produced by the above people should be considered a new "language".

The closest open source art form that looks like Linux is "Tangram" - look it up on Google...

Risto

[This message was edited by Risto Klint on August 21, 2001 at 21:58.]

Risto, you left out circlux, our very first open source platform. Build on top of it if you like, just don't violate the license agreement.

... I think... that is a strong argument... not... I think... I think... I think I need to go to bed now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

Alex,

do you know that Linus Torvalds never had sex at the age when he developed Linux? So he didn't know what he was talking about. Read his biography to proof it.

No, not that I don't like Linux. It's an absolutely fantastic OS - for hackers, servers, networks. But not for applications like we need them. They are still in the pre-historic stone age: use fonts? Arrrgghh. Print to elaborate printers or integrate it into digital imaging? Bloooooooob. FORGET IT.

Would you please be so kind and send me one high polygon female, male and horse character either in *.3ds or *.c4d or *.obj format as open source? I need them desperately. Oh, and it would be nice if you would include the bones for inverse kinematics already, would save me a lot of work. My e-mail is jens@highspeedweb.net. BTW, size doesn't matter, but I expect lots of details.

Thanks in advance for your open source files.

And please send me a permission to tape you when you will go to the bakery and purchase some bread - paying with open source. And let me be a witness when you pay your new car with open source currency.

Thank you soooo much for your brilliant idea. Since you seem to be a real master and guru in this area, I invite you to tell my bank everything about open source to convince them to forget about my credit, ok? Lodging and expenses over here will be paid with open source of course.

It's interesting to see how hilarious this forum is turning.

But please WITHOUT me.

Are you sure you are in the right show? I doubt it. Try to get your own TV shows with this bullshit, and ** IF ** you should be successful with it, we can talk. But until then please limit yourself to tell those dumb stories your psychiatrist or shrink only.

Hope you got the message.

jens

Question: is there any way to cancel my membership in this idiots forum?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Open source design is quite and intelectual artishy and thus a little bit jukny idea, it could easily turn to movement, but also end it he dustbin.

Jens in my honest opinion - you don't have to be sad and worried if you're good designer.

Clip art! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>