Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jagged fill

Default Jagged fill

I tried the search button, but didn't quite find an answer to my question. I'm sure it's something pretty simple, however I can't seem to find the answer. Check out the pic (and .xar file) this is a rectangle with a simple linear fill from very light grey to white. Whatever I do, however it it stays jagged. Zoom it further and it really shows. What am I doing wrong? Please guys, help me here.linear.xarClick image for larger version. 

Name:	linear.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	87170
    Last edited by Mladen; 07 February 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Jagged fill

the 'banding' is a limitation of xara, it's particularly noticable when gradient is white-black - I am not sure there is an easy way round it, there are some threads about it on the forum...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Bad news right there. There is some "banding" in color gradients, too, although not as obvious. Looking for a solution...

p.s. thank you

Gradient banding is not always a limitation of the application, it can also be a limitation of your monitor and/or video card.
    I see zero banding on your example JPG or .xar file when viewed on my IPS Panel LCD.

Please see ► http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

^Thanks heapls for the input, sledger. My worry is mainly how it will print, because there was a little banding visible the last time I gave it for print. However, like you said, it depends from monitor to monitor and especially from printer to printer, regardless how professional it may be.

p.s. Nice monitor. My 17'' Dell laptop is no match.

I see no banding at all on my monitor. I will print and see what I can see there.

EDIT: I just printed your xar file and saw no banking there either, at least not on my printer.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

but the gradient in xara is limited to 256 steps visible or not, and that is a fact

actually I have to look very closely to see it at all in the example posted, on my HP monitor - but darken the image and there it is clear as day ... no matter whether you see them or not, under a given monitor/print setup, they are most certainly always there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Across an A4 sheet the longest way that is about 0.0429 inches (1.16mm) per band. Not too horrendous.

You could always use dithering
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 February 2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added Example

What is your Quality slider set too?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QualitySlider.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	87174  

Thanks for all the replys guys. I got what I was looking for.

@jclements: Of course I got it on very high, a few year with xara now. thanks anyway.

p.s. Thank you, Drwyd, didn't think of that. I need a vector, but this could work at times.