Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Edit text on a website like a CMS

Hi,

Is there a possibility to let the logged in user editing text areas, something like a CMS?
    If so can anyone show me some help on it?

Default Re: Edit text on a website like a CMS

Hi Dirk and welcome to Talkgraphics,

I'm afraid Xara Designer is not an ideal tool for creating a CMS-type website. You're better off looking elsewhere like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress-type applications.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hello dirkschoeters, welcome to Talkgraphics.
    The websites produced by Xara are not dynamic. You can´t use the program as a CMS. However there´s a CMS being developed by xtom (a member of this forum) that works with Xara generated pages and allow you to specify edit text areas that users can...well edit.
    Here´s the link:http://www.xt-cms.com/.
    He has a demo of a site created with Xara and his CMS here.
    This is the only CMS i know that works with Xara generated pages out of the box.
    Last edited by MEB; 23 January 2012 at 06:30 PM.

I think it would be great to develop such tool as plugin to XWD or a standalone application! And that would be enormous contribution (of may be even revolution) to web site creation. My point, such specific work should be done by Xara developers team, to make it as best, because it takes too many additional annoying steps to make a web-site completely fullfield as I want it to be. Moreover, the customers are fully dependent on web-master, who is using Xara products and it had already become a stumbling block in some cases, because they wanted freedom, that CMS gives. But it's hard to explain, why others sites are using CMS, and yours doesn't. However, progress goes on, and may be in next versions we will see such a perfect option. xt-cms seems to be interesting, but I don't think it would give much freedom. As it says, there should be several templates, (even done using Xara) which might be a platform for doing such a thing. And for realy exclusive unlike sites it seems to be much more complicated.

Thanks for the mention Meb.

xt-cms seems to be interesting, but I don't think it would give much freedom.
    It does give quite a lot of freedom, and you can use just one single page template designed in Xara for all your web pages, or several page templates for different pages if you want. For a self hosted cms you can't really avoid some extra complication but it's mostly just the initial install and setup that can be tricky.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

xt-cms seems like a GREAT tool for Xara sites. One thing, though, what is the price in $$$ (I'm not too good at doing those currency conversion things. Maybe I should just leave it to my credit card company. Still it would be nice to know how much it will cost me in USD).