Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Circles and rounded rectangles have jagged lines

When I drag out a circle, or use the node to curve the corners of a rectangle, the line isn't smooth. It looks like it's slightly jagged. I've searched online and in this forum for a solution, and I'm sure it's simple, but can someone help me with this?

I'm trying to create a drawing which features the rounded edge of a playing card, with no luck. It simply doesn't look good.

Any ideas how to fix this? TIA

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Circles and rounded rectangles have jagged lines

Where do you have your quality slider set at? Try making sure that it is all the way to the right at the highest quality setting. If that doesn't help could you post a .xar file with an example drawing that shows the problem for us to look at? It may be easier for us to track down what is causing the jaggies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

angelize, thanks. I'm looking for the quality slider and not finding it. Can you tell me how to get it to appear? I bet that's the problem.

Edit to add .xar file, which shows rectangle, circle, card, and cut-out from card (focusing on corner emblem).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Advocate; 20 January 2012 at 09:59 PM.

The view quality slider shoud be on the info bar by default see the screenshot below. I'll take a look at your file to see if there is anything else that may be causing the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view quality.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	86762

Edit: when I tried to open your file in Designer Pro 7 I got an error I have never seen before, I'll attach it here as it may be helpful to the Xara developers. If anyone else has difficulties with opening this file it may be a good idea to send the file to Xara support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	advocate_file_error.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	86764
    Last edited by angelize; 20 January 2012 at 10:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quality is set to very high. So, I don't know what's happening, then. (Image exported at 150dpi.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001TalkGraphics.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	86763  

Looks fine here.

Angelize, I had a similar error earlier tonight. Closing and reopening XDP seems to have cleared it.

a second attempt to open the file was successful and like Drwyd I can't find anything wrong. However looking at your screenshot something doesn't look right. Try closing and reopening Xara as Drwyd has suggested and see if that clears the problem. If that doesn't fix it you may need to restart your computer and if that still doesn't fix it you may need to do a re install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

angelize, I use Pro 6.

Closing and reopening the program doesn't help. This has been going on for a long time, with these jagged lines like this, but it wasn't until now that it's become an issue, as I need the lines to be smooth in order to create images to import into a demo video.

Maybe someone can post a .xar file with a rectangle with curved corners and a circle, and I can just save that file and use those images as necessary. I just don't have enough expertise to come up with any other solution

Reinstall might be the solution, but that's a last resort. I'll go way back in my files and see if I can find a circle and rounded corner rectangle that don't have jagged lines. Thanks for the help

Edit to add: I have Xara on another computer; I'll check later tonight and see if the problem exists there, as well.
    Last edited by Advocate; 20 January 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Hay, I got to put another Advocate file into the Advocate folder in my test folders...

If you have no joy on the other computer or with this file, let me know, neighbor.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, Mike *waves*

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, it produced no joy on this computer. I'll have to check it on the other computer tonight. Such a mystery.