Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

As you might remember I'm exploring the Linux world in-depth for a couple of weeks now. I've checked several vector apps for Linux, but only for the KDE desktop environment.

Yesterday I've discovered a fantastic app similar to X, which uses the Gnome libs, that means you have to run the Gnome desktop.

Wow. That's been a screaming experience. Anti-Aliasing like X plus most of the features you have in X. But running in X. Confused? X is the graphical user interface in the Linux world, in this case Gnome.

SodiPodi rocks, especially when you consider that it runs on an OS you can't kill - good by blue screens, freezes etc.

But wait, there is more: Sodipodi is - you've guessed it - FREE.

There is already a Windows version available, which is not yet stable, can't print and requires a compilation before you can use it.

Sodipodi is based on the SVG format. Comes with blends, transparencies and all the nine yards you are used to in Xara.

Two Linux freaks are coding this power horse marvel.

You'll find more details here: Sodipodi 0.28

Don't miss the *.png samples here: png samples

IMHO it's time for the XARA team to either
    01. port Xara X to the Linux / Unix world
    02. or team up with the Sodipodi team to hit the market with a rock solid and feature loaded multi-platform app.

How would it work? There could be one free version with certain limitations and one branded version with all features and plug-ins which will sell for real bucks. Like the free 'OpenOffice' from Sun and the 'StarOffice' with a small price tag.

Time is running out. The next Win version will be stable and won't require a compilation - it will be tarballed as an exe or zip. And it'll be FREE as well.

Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime-chance Xara!

Many users will switch to Linux because of the TCPA threat that comes with the next windows OS. I already switched 3 of my 4 machines to pure Linux.

If you are interested, check out Suse 8.1 Professional
    Their Linux distribution is just fantastic and ships with some 2.000 apps (on 7 CD's and one DVD) for US$ 70. Including DVD players, working printer drivers, CD burners, utilities etc etc - you name it, it's already included.

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on January 17, 2003 at 00:11.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sodipodi-0.28-1.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	11117  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

As you might remember I'm exploring the Linux world in-depth for a couple of weeks now. I've checked several vector apps for Linux, but only for the KDE desktop environment.

Yesterday I've discovered a fantastic app similar to X, which uses the Gnome libs, that means you have to run the Gnome desktop.

Wow. That's been a screaming experience. Anti-Aliasing like X plus most of the features you have in X. But running in X. Confused? X is the graphical user interface in the Linux world, in this case Gnome.

SodiPodi rocks, especially when you consider that it runs on an OS you can't kill - good by blue screens, freezes etc.

But wait, there is more: Sodipodi is - you've guessed it - FREE.

There is already a Windows version available, which is not yet stable, can't print and requires a compilation before you can use it.

Sodipodi is based on the SVG format. Comes with blends, transparencies and all the nine yards you are used to in Xara.

Two Linux freaks are coding this power horse marvel.

You'll find more details here: Sodipodi 0.28

Don't miss the *.png samples here: png samples

IMHO it's time for the XARA team to either
    01. port Xara X to the Linux / Unix world
    02. or team up with the Sodipodi team to hit the market with a rock solid and feature loaded multi-platform app.

How would it work? There could be one free version with certain limitations and one branded version with all features and plug-ins which will sell for real bucks. Like the free 'OpenOffice' from Sun and the 'StarOffice' with a small price tag.

Time is running out. The next Win version will be stable and won't require a compilation - it will be tarballed as an exe or zip. And it'll be FREE as well.

Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime-chance Xara!

Many users will switch to Linux because of the TCPA threat that comes with the next windows OS. I already switched 3 of my 4 machines to pure Linux.

If you are interested, check out Suse 8.1 Professional
    Their Linux distribution is just fantastic and ships with some 2.000 apps (on 7 CD's and one DVD) for US$ 70. Including DVD players, working printer drivers, CD burners, utilities etc etc - you name it, it's already included.

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on January 17, 2003 at 00:11.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

TCPA threat? Can you enlighten me on what this is all about?

Regards, John

TCPA is a combination of an on-board chip, a local software and a server database on the web.

Now let's assume you purchase MS Office. During installation, it will generate a unique code based on the code in the 'Fritz' chip on board with all your computer data. This code will be stored somewhere - chances are high it will be stored in the Fritz chip. OK, now you call MS to receive your unlock code and submit it. Great, you've made your day and start working with your MS Office apps.

365 days later - of course you did forget the date of your registration - you want to finish a task with one of your MS Office apps. However, it won't start. Instead you will see a notice to renew your licence, or the app will be rendered worthless.

This is no joke. At this very point you have the choice to pull out your credit card and renew your licence or to trash all your stuff.

In addition, if you i.e. receive a doc from a friend that doesn't match the code in your Fritz chip and he accidentially marked the file 'personal', the Fritz chip will contact the web server, check the database and check if you are legitimate to open the document. If there is no match, you will be stuck, your friend is on a sailboat for the next 3 weeks (impossible to reach him), and your project will go down the gutter.

Or let's assume you've paid for a piece of music and downloaded the MP3, but didn't read the fine print. If you want to copy it the chip will deny the action - even if you want to copy your PAID masterpiece onto your OWN CD ! ! ! Or you want to enjoy it a third time - bingo, access denied, because your rights are limited to 2 replays only.

Sure, this might not affect you at this very moment. But imagine they would shorten the licence period to let's say 9 months. Or 6 months. They CAN do it and they WILL. Because you are not the BOSS of your machine anymore, but Bill Gates and his troops. They will dictate how often and how much you will have to pay for their buggy software.

As I said - it's not a JOKE. Over here in Europe it's a hot topic, because it will collide with the European copyright laws. But hey, just look what happened to the MS case in the US - nothing. So I bet my b... that Bill Gates and his troops will push it through in Europe as well.

On the other hand it's good to hear that China decided to abandon Windows and install Linux. And it'g good to hear that the German government won't extend the contracts with Microsoft - they are installing Linux now.

And it's good to hear that many companies in Europe - many of them still working with Win NT 4 - don't want to run the risk of being dependent on monopoly contracts - they switch to Linux as well instead of upgrading to W2K or XP Professional.

The good news: Rhino runs in Linux with 'wine'. And many more apps. The better news: Linux apps are free, thus there won't be any work for the lousy Fritz chip - there are no databases to check against.

The Linux community declared they will NOT join this TCPA consortium.

The first computers equipped with the Fritz chip will hit the road in summer - according to Intel (these guys will make a nice profit out of this system as well). And the next windows which will be released 2004 will incorporate the TCPA codes.

Conclusion: Linux lost it's cryptic command stage, and the earlier you leave the $$$ OS and apps the better for you. Experience to have up to 16 different desktops at the same time. And a system that will never crash.

Check this one: XANDROS - a new Linux distribution to run both worlds in one OS.

Or - if you still want to enjoy windows apps - you can run wine or vmware. The first one is free and 'built-in' into Linux, the second one is around US$ 300.

At KNOPPIX you can download a fully operational Linux system, burn it to a CD. Then boot your system from the CD and enjoy Linux - it won't modify your current system at all. And it's already configured to connect to your modem, ISDN or DSL connection. Just point and click.

Life can be so simple ;-}

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

yawn

it's not easy to run (not for the common end user), it's a dream for coders and folks that have technical minds but my mind, while a BIT techy, is more graphical.

I love the idea of going back to Linux and have it do everything I could ever want and look the way I want, ect... but 4 months ago I played with it again and lost some money and time but it was worth it to me to see how far they had come, and they have a LONG way to go as far as I'm concerned. I still had issues with sound and a few other undesirable glitches that I can't remember at the moment.

It's not THAT free Jens. First the software, while not as costly as Microsof is still gota a price tag on it, whather it's the user edtion or the professional edition or the server edition. Mandrake Club for the silver license is $120.00 which entitles you to Star Office and Opera and a few other $$ apps. Most of the stable, really good software is not free either. I tried working with all forms of WINE and it's just not there yet. One of the coders I was in touch with could NOT get XaraX to run on it and if he couldn't then I don't know who could. The really free software is the stuff that is in Beta or even Alpha stages of development. For some that is exciting for me it's frustrating and a waste of my time. I would rather be doing something constructive with my computer than pulling out my hair trying to fix some bad code that some geek that didn't get enough sleep slapped together and released.

That's another problem with the Linux community, there are no set standards, it's a "free for all" and until the Linux Community sets some serious standards for the software that's being released then the piles of unfinished, alpha/beta junk is going to just get deeper and deeper to wade through to find one single worthwhile application that will be productive for what the user needs. That's just too much to ask in todays world.

IMHO, Star Office sucks the big one still, besides that little gem you found for vector graphics there are no other vector apps, except I did see a little bit of promise with the KDE one, but how long will that take before it's up to XaraX's standards, another 5 years at this rate?? I HATE the GIMP layout, all those menus floating around is just too much for me. I and many others have written the author of that paint app and asked him to PLEASE re write the interface so we could have our choice of a Windows type of interface or his loose dialogs interface, he flat out said "NO", now that's a real good way to further the Gimps/Linux's popularity, just push those new potential clients away, what a fool!!

While the functionality of KDE not only looks good but it is functional with out too many crashes, Gnome is not there yet and Gnome DOES freeze and crash, it's not altogether stable, not yet, give it another year. KDE, IMHO beats the pants off of Gnome in productivity and stability. So there are a few apps under Gnome, that doesn't make it a winner.

As for the whole Microhard stuff, there WILL be work arounds, you can bet your boots on that and if Microhard hasn't learned their lesson to lay off all the heavy handed BS then they will pay the price by loosing more folks to Mac and Linux and then they will lighten up again and on and on and on and so it goes. Maybe this is the kick in the ass that Microsoft needs, they loose clients, Linux now has more incentive to set standards and get chosen software stable and easily configurable to make those coming over from Windows more at home and comfortable. It would be nice if these guys that are writing this code for Sodipodi could take Xara's file format and write the program so it could import and export the .xar and .web files with out any lose shadows or bevels or anything. Kinda like the guy with RealDraw Pro, a one man show but really doing some amazing things.

As for the software vendors here on the Microsoft side, do you really think, in all honesty, that they are going to support this?? And loose clients?? I don't think so. If they do then they are idiots and deserve to get what they get!! I would be interested in seeing the list of those supporting this TCPA consortium. Is it available, can you link us up??

Microsoft has made it's existence out of perpetuating problems and creating issues that are un-necessary for as long as I've been using a computer and I don't think it's going to stop any time soon.

As for the TCPA chips on the MB's, I'm sure that not all manufacturers are going to agree with this either. So unless it's brought into National law then I would hope that a few would be smart enough to bow out and say "I don't think so"!! Or why couldn't you just pull the chip out of the MB?? Is it going to be hard coded so it's got to be there in order for the MB to function??

Too many questions and looks like there is plenty of time to sort it out and if it's such a hot topic over there in Europe and Asia, et all, then I'm sure there are others that are of like minds not wanting to give up so easily on their investments in the Microsoft side of things. I know I will do what ever it takes to keep what is rightfully mine!!

End of Rant!!

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on January 18, 2003 at 12:18.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

your thought are great. You are fighting for the blue screen OS ;-}

No, fun aside, I still have one machine unmodified.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to say that you **have** to switch now, but I think it would be good to play with the other alternative - like you did and I guess like you will do once a year in the future as well.

I'm just checking, probing, researching, and I believe that you need to have a vision to explore an alternative.

Maybe I used the wrong words. I didn't mean that X should offer XX for free - no, as you already put it: even in the Linux world excellent software costs real $$. So Xara wouldn't loose customers if they would offer the same package for the same price for Linux.

I'm awfully sorry that your Linux experiment didn't work for you. Mine works smooth and sleek, I can't complain, but I wish there would be some professional apps available like Xara X, Rhino or Cinema 4D.

Let's go for a compromise: we'll run the blue screen OS for the next year and check the other one from time to time, until there will be a professional and $$ killer app.

Agreed?

Have a great weekend!

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

but I'm glad he's gone or put away. I think someone else, Gary?, noticed that too a while back. It's a pleasure debating with this new, improved Jens. Couldn't have been the switch to Linux could it have?? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

On the Linux side. BELIEVE me when I say this, again, if things were a bit more together with that operating system I would have switched over long ago. I know what your saying about your system being smooth as silk. All my attempts with it have been bogus and that's not something I can put up with for very long!

Plus and again I'll say it. The Linux Community NEEDS standardization BIG TIME. Fine have 2 competing desktops, that's good, keeps the other going up up up and not letting the code get too moldy but for crying out loud all these half baked ideas and not very many folks taking it to the finish. One app that I LOVE is XMMS, a total knockoff of my all time favorite audio player, WinAmp. Skins and all, just wonderful. Gimp is a good PhotoPaint knockoff except for the interface, Actually KDE's Word knockoff is coming along pretty nicely and thank god for Opera for a browser. I don't much care for Mozilla or Netscrape and Konqueror is pretty OK so far. But then that's about it. Can't scan, print quality is poor, although I DID get the burn program to finally work this last go around, so I have a burned disk from the Linux platform, nice!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif KDE and GNOME are the only ones that are attempting to follow a standard, everyone else is just creating these OK apps with UGLY icons and strange interfaces, nothing goes together. Some like that, I don't.

Have an open mind to something better? All the time!! Have a mind for a certain amount of conformity?? It's in my makeup, so YOU BETTCHA'!! Be willing to go through it again until I'm finally happy with a release?? Every year once or twice, depending on the amount of time I have for pulling out my hair and loosing sleep!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I was not insinuating that XaraX be freeware, on the contrary, as much bitching as folks do about the high cost of software I agree, but on moderately or low cost with good code, I'll be the first in line. So if Linux app writers need a $$ incentive to follow through and finish what they started I would support them. But I think a good part of the time when I find a good idea that has not been updated for, say, 6 months or so and you pretty much can tell it's dead in the water I think of the wasted time, incentive gone and you are left saying "but there is potential here, where the hell are you??" I have sent emails to a few and got them bounced back, they probably ditched the project and then changed or closed the email account and couldn't be bothered to put up a statement that they had given up and here's the code, someone else have at it. NOPE, just dead in the water. It's not good for the reputation of an OS that is not ready for prime time to have authors out there doing this sort of thing all the time. So give them incentive. Sign a contract and guarantee them money for their efforts that keeps the creative juices flowing and they MAKE the time to see it through.

Not a rant this time but I'm finished, again

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

You have yourself a nice rest of the weekend Jens!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Until the Linux community gets it together, Linux will always be a niche OS, AND THAT IS ALL. No matter how many Linux fanatics promote it and damn Windows, the reality is that Linux is a third rate OS for geeks who want to tinker endlessly. It has improved tremendously, but is years behind Windows, though the users think it is years ahead.

Yawn!

I run Win 98 First Edition and almost never get the BSOD. I have learned how to work with the OS and get maximum pleasure and productivity out of it.

Linux community:

1 - Stop producing ten thousand crappy apps for Linux and produce a solid OS and thirty GOOD apps that work right and intuitively (not like the nightmare called The Gimp).

2 - Standardize or die.

3 - Stop whining about Windows and MAKE LINUX BETTER. It still sucks, and no amount of asserting that it is superior will change that. Linux sucks in many ways. Improve it and stop telling us is better than it is.

4 - Windows is miles ahead and much better and faster than Linux for almost everything. Period. Reality, not fiction.

5 - Make Linux an OS that everyone can use.

6 - MAKE LINUX AN OS THAT EVERYONE CAN USE!

7 - No, don't make it "better" than Windows, make it an OS that everyone can use, dammit!

8 - If Linux stays geeky and niche, then most virus writers will not bother with it. Enjoy being one of the very few who bothers to use Linux. Just do it quietly.

9 - Give it up. Linux is dead as a viable desktop for most users.

10 - Based on the techno-geeky past performance of the Linux programmers, Linux will NEVER be a viable desktop for more than a tiny fraction of PC users.

Can you say unbelievably crappy MAN pages? Techno-lingo? Horrible GUIs? 3rd rate, buggy and slow apps? Unintuitive interfaces?

Linux developers design for themselves, not for the public, and therein lies the problem.

End of rant.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Thank you "Obey won canobie". http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Kidding aside, taking the time to explain these more technical issues is much appreciated.

Also appreciated is the THOUGHTFUL dialog that ensued. I believe it expands everyone's understanding.