Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default SOPA protest starts now!

As of midnight GMT (right now), am joining Wikipedia and others in a blackout to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act by showing users the bill’s effect on Web companies. We object to language in the bills, which are aimed at stopping online piracy on foreign Web sites, that grant the U.S. government the right to block entire Web sites with copyright-infringing content on them from the Internet.

My site, jon404.com, will be blacked out for at least 24 hours.

Default Re: SOPA protest starts now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stop-sopa.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	86675

What was on the site that I'm missing?

For Wikipedia just block the special banner with adblock - job done, Wikipedia live again.

Whole internet being denied information due to the political thoughts of its leaders... at least with book burning you could hide books. Wikipedia has the ability to turn off knowledge to all when it wants to - kinda scary.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Hi Anthony -- well, you won't be able to buy some good books for a day or two. Obviously, not the end of the world!

But there's an old saying: "The freedom of the press only exists for the man that owns one."

The internet -- so far -- lets us ALL have our own press. But can any government... ours, yours, or others... co-exist with TRUE freedom of the press? This protest is to keep this new media as free as possible for as long as possible... to keep it from being controlled by large corporations and their government cronies. We'll see how this plays out. As for me, electronic freedom forever! See https://www.eff.org/ for more about all this.

EDIT -- some years ago, I was scanning a dollar bill for an illustration, and Adobe Photoshop CS wouldn't allow the image. Found out they were secretly working with the US Treasury, and you folks in Europe, to block images of dollar, pounds, and euros. But they didn't tell their customers about this new 'feature'. See http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...p/t-54890.html ... I went back to Plotoshop 7, and haven't bought Photoshop since -- I vote with my wallet, and will NEVER reward corporate neo-fascistic behavior.
    Last edited by jon404; 18 January 2012 at 07:39 AM.