Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Hi everyone, I finally had some time to play around with this some more. Gary, I think you nailed what it was that was bothering me about my first attempt. I've extended the plane up and made some adjustments to the lighting on one of the sides. I like this much better. I am enjoying this thread very much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyhedron.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	86716
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think you and everyone else is doing great with the "variations on a theme" regarding this month's tutorial, Frances.

Now, just to mix it up a little: I've attached a vector trace of the green glass icosahedron, as it seems visually interesting, at least to me. I used Vector Magic, probably the most advanced bitmap tracing program out there today.

The reason I did this, is I'd like to offer a view to members of what the thing looks like when a computer program sort of posterizes the continuous tone image. I know I can learn from it, and perhaps others can, too. Look at how the green light accumulation, the Fresnel effect, is drawn at the lower right of the object.

Use the color sampler (eyedropper) tool to sample some of the colors. I discovered that the colors are a lot duller than I thought, and this is because our eye/brain perception is inaccurate when it comes to evaluating the saturation, the purity, of color we see. It's part education, part biological.

But I digress. I think the auto-trace is an interesting way to look at an emotionless dissection of a photorealistic image. By looking at the steps Vector Magic used to create the shadow, I can learn how falloff in light can be recreated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreenGlassIcosahedron.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	86738

Have fun with this thing. Because if you don't, it's pointless work! Yuck!

My Best,
    —Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary thanks for the extra lessons you are providing in this thread. Really makes me think about seeing rather than looking.

I was not going to post the attachment because it did not turn out as I had planned. However sometimes it may be that what evolved may be better in some ways than our plans would have produced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frosty.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	86740  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill—

I think you're in the middle or an experiment, not at the final frame, so to speak, with regards to the image you attached. Philosophically, I'm totally with you on the evolution of a piece. But I think you're SO close to achieving something "World Class", if you're up for it, do continue.

Suggestion? Blur a copy of the background, and then let it gradate from the diffuse original at the bottom of your drawinjg, to the blurry copy at top.

This would be my own experiment based on an idea your piece gave me—to encourage depth of field in it by blurring the most optically distant point in your piece.

Or...

it's Friday and we could go out bar-hopping.

You call,

Gary

Thanks very much for the advice Gary. I will continue with the drawing.

Bar hopping would be good too. Although my 'day time job' may not like it. I work from 4 pm to 11 pm today then need to be back at work by 7 am tomorrow morning.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time to take part is these discussions only follow them. @Bill, that is cool. @Gare, thanks for all the tips and additional challenges. I hope I can contribute something soon.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Just playing around with this shape but I liked this particular stage, complete with lines so I hope you don't mind me posting it.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shape.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	86744  

Actually, I like its expression exactly as you submitted it.

Art is supposed to have feeling, right? Your version immediately made me feel cold, and a little like I'm in a dream-like state. A pleasant dream, you know?

I LOVE the diversity we're getting as far as personal expression goes on this topic!

Anyone else feel the same way?

As though this is a gallery of Personal Polyhedrons?

I'm very impressed that you made a personal expression out of art that looks deceptively simple, Stygg.

My Best,
    Gary

Actually, I got the same impression as Gary......but I think one line might be missing from the drawing.....on the right lower part of the drawing it seems to be missing one triangle.....I would send a quick addition to it but being at work, I'm not allowed to upload to the site.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I think I'm going to have dreams of triangles tonight, Ed. I completely missed that facet you saw...which sort of begs the question, "If it looks right, then isn't it right?"

I have no idea what I'm going to do to follow up this month's tutorial...

We'll see,
    -g-