Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Angelize, Bill, thank you very much.
    Lets see how well we can achieve with new Gare's designs
    Best regards
    Javier

CAUTION, Javier!

You won't learn anything unless you stop and examine the "truth" in the objects.

You are fantastic at drawing reflections and glass and real world objects, but now is the time to learn something new, okay?

Do not repeat your successes in your drawing, but instead draw what you see in these images. Draw what you feel the images say to you.

Move ahead by learning, okay? Do not depend on what you already know. Instead, use these pictures to learn, and then know something new.

Okay?

Promise?

My Best,
    —Gary

I agree with you and I'll follow the advice but my experience using my imagination is that I have drawn things that are not much relevant to my brain, for instance, drawing glass is not drawings glass at all but drawing reflections, is it understandable?, if you draw a reflection your brain build the rest.
    I think that is also important to understand how brain works to save effort, actually everything is a matter of lights and shadings, aren't they?.
    Since I started to draw I'm really obsessed with lights and shadows, I do agree with you, when you see a drawing that every shade or light is consistent you feel it in your soul, I've tried to understand how it works but I failed more than once that's the reason I ussually copy instead of creating.
    I'll have a go at your proposal I am sure my knowledge will improve in some way.
    Best regards.
    Javier

For your knowledge, or skill, or talent, to improve—is all I want (as a teacher) from a person with drive and a natural attraction to art, Javier.

My feeling is that if you look at something in the real world with a good eye (a good eye + an understanding in the brain), the artist is not confused by what they see compared to what they THINK they see. The brain can lead you wrong, often.

What we see is :light, shade, highlights, reflections...these are things that are up-front and obvious.

Intellectual things, truths in art...these are not always obvious. Like perspective, contrast, focus, these are more subtle than the obvious characteristics of an object.

And these are harder for many people to draw in Xara, a vector program that doesn't help create, for example, a soft focus.

But you have the skill to create a lot of these properties in your art. This is the easy stuff for you!

Now do the hard stuff! Imagine, for example, what the object would look like if it is rotated a little.

How about that one?

I am trying to encourage you, always. My comments should test you, not make you frustrated. I want them to be keys to understanding your own talents—and the features in Xara—more thoroughly.

Salut,
    Gary

Gare,
    I am looking at the objects and I'm in trouble, as I mention before it is really complicated to me to realize from where the light comes and what it produces.

Lets take the green object and I'll try to answer your questions.

Where is the lighting coming from?

**** If a look at the shadow proyected by the object it seems to come from up - back left side but if I look at the floor and wall it seem to come from up - left front (what a difficult is to explaining it in English, hope you understand) what is inconsistent with the first comment, may be the light comes from up-left -front and it changes inside the icosahedron (I have learnt a new word "icosahedron" this just worthwile), coming back to comment I'm not sure from where the light comes from.

Are the polyhedrons shiny or dull?

**** hehehehe I know the answer "Shiny" at least I'll get a 1 out of 3 with this

Do they reflect, or in the case of the glass ones, do they pass light and add color to the area where the light finally stops?

***** The light passes in some way and add color where it stops
    Javier

Could it be there are more than one light?

I created a pentagon and extruded it in xara and it seems I need more than one light to achieve something similar.
    Best regards
    Javier

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've had a go with this. I've been playing around with Xara's lighten and darken transparencies. I'm still not quite happy with it, maybe I'm too self critical. Here is what I have so far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyhedron.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	86695
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by jvila View Post
    Could it be there are more than one light?
    Hi Javier—

I'm sorry you're having a not-fun time with this! Frances was able to do something clever and attractive by studying the images, by the way.

There is only one light, but in real life, there is more than one source of illumination, indirect lighting, also call ambient lighting—light that comes from bouncing off the surroundings, and that is why the faces closest to the floor in the image are lighter than you'd expect them to be...they are getting light from the floor.

I will try to make this example easier here, and if I fail 1.) I'm not a good teacher and 2.) give up on this one

Here is the top view of the scene, and the camera's view including the area-type light object. The arrow in the top images indicates where the light is directed, as does the orange arrow on the light itself. I also rendered the same scene with no textures.

Name:	light-source.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	86699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosahedron-white-on-white.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	86700

Are these good hints to work from?

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I've had a go with this. I've been playing around with Xara's lighten and darken transparencies. I'm still not quite happy with it, maybe I'm too self critical.
    I love it, and I'm going to be a jerk and make an artistic, not technical, suggestion. Try to extend the plane upon which the object is resting, to the top of the frame. Depth = up from your point of view on a 2D surface such as a Xara document. What is happening for me here is that a narrow plank the object is resting on, plus the gradient background is "flattening" an otherwise 3D scene.

You'll add depth to your wonderful illustration if you...um, add depth .

-g-

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hi Javier—

I'm sorry you're having a not-fun time with this! Frances was able to do something clever and attractive by studying the images, by the way.

There is only one light, but in real life, there is more than one source of illumination, indirect lighting, also call ambient lighting—light that comes from bouncing off the surroundings, and that is why the faces closest to the floor in the image are lighter than you'd expect them to be...they are getting light from the floor.

I will try to make this example easier here, and if I fail 1.) I'm not a good teacher and 2.) give up on this one

Here is the top view of the scene, and the camera's view including the area-type light object. The arrow in the top images indicates where the light is directed, as does the orange arrow on the light itself. I also rendered the same scene with no textures.

Name:	light-source.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	86699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosahedron-white-on-white.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	86700

Are these good hints to work from?
    hi Gare,
    I'm not saying I'm not having a fun time actually it is really fun, the more challenge it is the more interesting is to me.
    You are very polite when you avoided writing the 3rd option if you fail and that option is me hehehehehehe.
    According the last example, if I look at the light source it is pointing in one direction and the shadow of the object is not pointing in the same direction actually it is pointing towards right
    Trying to be clearer I'm uploading your jpg with an arrow indicating the direction of the light and in yellow where I think the shadow should be (that's the problem I always face, I think the shadow is located on another place).

As I said it is very interesting, entertaining and above all very important to achieve better results.

Best regards and thank you very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	86701  
    Javier