Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

In many respects, your finished dodecahedron looks a lot better than mine, stygg!

I'm happy to hear that you learned a few things, to boot. It's always refreshing to see someone use a unique texture or approach or just riff on the tutorial per se. Yeah, you can learn from duplicating the work of others, but you can have fun, and really call it your own work when you understand and then improvise.

Em, is there anything specific you'd like to cite that you learned in principal by doing? I'd like to repeat anything that's positively received in the future!

My Best,

Gary

If one thing stands out I learned from then It was using Bitmap fills. By that I meam the way you applied it for the shadow, I would never have thought of that coupled with the diffuse live effect. Come to think of it, I don't use many Bitmap fills at all but I can see now they could be put to many uses with being able to change the texture, colour and shade with live effects without my computer going into egg timer oblivion! and then lose all the work I have done, another

Cheers, look forward to more of the same, Stygg

Nice tutorial Gary, you make it entertaining as a bonus!
    When do we get your guitar solos in the tutorials?

The video format is nice as you can navigate easily back to the parts you haven't understand.

I never took the time to play with it the emboss effect, I realized it's a well executed function.

I tend to use shape intersection more often than clipview, just because I find it easier to have the final shape on top.

Thanks for the hard work!!

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    ...without my computer going into egg timer oblivion! and then lose all the work I have done, another
    I learned and used the "trick" of making a bitmap copy of largish bitmaps that have any Live Effect attached when I did a candy cane illustration two years ago for Gary Priester's end-of-year Show. I had a really nice, diffuse snow field the canes were sticking into, and even with a Quad Core at the time, my machine was melting down because of the processing overhead involved in holding the effect as a dynamic one. My personal lesson was/is: when you're certain you have an effect the way you want it, it doesn't have to be dynamic (editable, reversible) any longer.

If you or anyone else is interested in a collection I've made of seamless tiling fills (not precisely suitable for Emboss, but still interesting, I put some up on TalkGraphics about a year ago:some of Bouton's seamless tiles.

I encourage experimentation.
    I encourage taking artistic risks.
    I encourage large, non-sequentially numbered bills in an unmarked bag at my doorstep.

My Best,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    Nice tutorial Gary...When do we get your guitar solos in the tutorials?
    Hey, Marc! What's been shakin' except snow up there?

I finally got the parts I needed to build a dedicated recording studio PC in one of our spare rooms, so I expect I'll have a tutorial on how to shred through "Canon Rock" with the Shape Editor Tool (in F#, the shortcut is F4) real soon.

Everyone is a rock star with Xara, aren't we?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star guitar.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	86651

The only reservation I have about intersecting bitmaps is that I usually have the Show Fill Edit handles turned on, don't bother going up and turning them off, and after intersection, the handles get in my ways moving and editing. There are more subtle advantages to clipping over intersecting, but happily we have oodles of creative options, eh?

My Best,

Gary

Gary,
    Hello, how are you?.
    About the tutorial .....
    As a spanish speaker I can tell you that this way of tutorial implies that a lot of spanish speaker are not able to follow it, when it is written We have the opportunity to read more than once every single phrase, then the english level requiered is really low, when I had a begginer level I could read almost everything with relatively few effort.
    For our ears every word is just like a rumour and it makes the task even more difficult, appart from learning xara We'd need to have a degree in English .

I consider myself a very skill xara user, I spent a lot of time using xara and I think I was able to create several really complicated drawings, when I watched the video I felt that several steps are not as clear as needed to a xara begginer user, may be my english listening comprehension is not as good as it needs to.

I am SURE you're trying to do the best, and worked a lot renewing xaraxone site, We have been in touch more than once and I always feel you are here to help.

Writting a comment is always dangerous cause it can sound rude, it's not my intention, it is just let you know what happends with the rest of the world, or at least spamiard world, that what doesn't speak english or even more, it can speak but it finds it difficult to understand when native people speak.

For myself, I prefer the video because I just already know xara basics, but add a written alternative in my oppinion is more than neccessary.

In my case xaraxone guided me from the very basic level to the top and I think that tutorials should be cover all the xara user ranges.

I always say that xara is not the best software, xara xone, tg, xara users and their forum people make xara the best .

As I said I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just sending my point of view.

Sorry about misspelings or gramatical errors.

Best regards and thank you very much
    Javier

Hi Javier—

Yes, I remember our previous talks.

All right: I did give some thought to how the videos would be received by Xara users who speak English as a seconhd language, and you are absolutely correct on all points.

If you would please go back in this thread to comment #18, I have put a Word document in a zip file for anyone to download. It is my rough script for reading the video. You should be able to follow it with the video part of the tutorial—just turn my voice down, like most of my family and friends would like to do.

In the future, I will provide a transcript here on the forum for the video tutorials, to try to please our friends who speak different languages than I do, and also to please several members who have said they really like the video approach to tutorials.

I will try to please everyone!

P.S. We are also trying to get YouTube's Closed Caption feature to accurately put subtitles in the video. Their translation software right now is awful, but they allow us to edit their translations. How does this sound?

Thanks for writing!

—Gary

P.S. Don't apologize for your grammar! We have a joke in the USA:

Q: What do you call a person who is fluent in many languages?
    A: Multi-lingual.

Q: What do you call a person only fluent in only one language?
    A: An American.

Gary,
    Sorry, I had not seen the script attached among all the comments, I read it and it reconfirms what I said, I had missed a lot of words you said, I'll use it to improve my english comprehension, two courses at one price THAT'S FANTASTIC, Vaughan's radio every day and Gare tutorial one a month, I'm not joking It really helps me a lot.

About youtube transcript that'll be even GREATER.

About P.S. thank you very much although I'm not fluent at all, but I'm keep on trying man.

Best regards and thank you very much.
    Javier

Gare 10+ for the zip file, it comes very in handy
    Javier

¡Usted es muy agradable! ¡Buena suerte!

(Did I get that right? )

—Gary