Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Oh, I can barely get a sentence straight without "um", and "well...."!

The way I did the tutorial was to write a script, get a stopwatch out to time the screen video, and then I edited the audio tracks together. I see very little sense when self-producing a tutorial video, to try to move the cursor and talk at the same time. Inevitably, it ruins the timing.

After owning it for around a year, I heartily endorse the Tascam DR-05 Portable Digital Recorder, about $100. Good stereo separation, records as WAV files, not compressed, degraded mp3 file format. Controls are about equivalent to navigating a video recorder or an iPod, the ring with the controls at 90, 180, 270, and 0. The only caveat is to watch for pops, but pop screens are common and inexpensive.

My other recommendation is the Blue Snowflake mic. Designed to clip to a monitor (or not), it has good frequency respond, but not as good as the TASCAM's built-in mics IMO, about $35 on Amazon, B&H photo, the regular suspects. USB into your computer, just like the TASCAM for downloads, Windows 7 immediately recognizes both devices, no handshake hassles!

Happy waveforms!

—Gary

Excellent video tutorial!

I sense it may 'shock' some by it's sheer dynamic delivery... but, that's a good thing. It's a 'power-bast' of information, both visual and technical, that sweeps you into full attention...and that's the best way to learn.

Great solution [and bonus] by adding a downloadable text file...[don't worry about the spelling].

Initial response for the site: very slick! I'll play with it a bit further to see if I can offer any suggestions, that you, of course, can ignore!

All success!

minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I had some time finally to play with one of the other shapes and a couple more bitmaps in the effects zip. I placed this pyramid into a background I created. My intention was to have it appear that the pyramid is floating just over the water. I've been having fun with this tutorial

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pyramid.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	86605
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Gare, I think the script will really help, especially for our non English speaking members.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: The Dodecahedron - A 12-sided Die

Congratulations on The 'New' Xara Xone and the first tutorial of the revamped site and the new year, GDB. The Xone is looking good, and different.

I found the video tutorial entertaining. Beyond learning the basics, though, I tend to dislike the video format for software tutorials altogether. They're either too fast (your VT is) or too slow and boring. I also dislike having to continually pause and rewind video tutorials to try to discover what I can't see, what I can't hear, what it was that was done some minutes ago (that I've now forgotten) to achieve an effect, or what the event was that occurred off screen with no explanation (usually some keyboard shortcut) that produced the result on the screen. I've got other issues with video tutorials, as well, but I'll quit before going on an endless rant.

In the end, I watched the tutorial about 2/3 of the way through before deciding to stop it and wing it on my own. How many inexperienced users of Xara Xtreme, Xara P&GD and Xara Designer Pro can do that though? It seems that only a few experienced users of Xara's software products have gone through the tutorial and posted their results. And fine results they are. But what about the new and/or inexperienced users? It would be nice to have some new/inexperienced Xara software users chime in and give their opinion of the video tutorial, its content and how easy or difficult it was for them to complete the dodecahedron and, of course, to post their results.

When I saw this tutorial I had flashbacks to the late 70s & early 80s when playing various RPGs (Role Playing Games) was all the rage. I've still got my drawstring bag of dice in a box somewhere in the basement. To that end, I just had to have a go at creating a 12-sided die. Everything to create the image was done from scratch, including the faces/shapes of the the dodecahedron.

This was a fun exercise.

Thanks Gary,
    Harry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dodecahedron Die.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	86636

You did good, Harry, especially if you didn't use the template I offered.

I enjoy it when readers/viewers/user-artists riff on a principle. Admittedly, I'm not sure how many different situations building a twelve-sided objects would be called for, but that wasn't the entire point of the "assignment". I wanted to show what makes 3D: the geometry is the simple stuff; lighting, perspective, texture...these elements make or break any composition that wants to be photorealisitic in execution.

People tend not to feel indifferent about video tutorials: we love them or hate them, and I've been delivering tutes both ways for years, with inconclusive general preferences.

I have been reprimanded for the pace, and promise to slow it down in future video tutorials! Part of it was deliberate and the rest problematic, because I had to synch the audio to the video—I don't use a lavalier while I'm cursoring, everything is post production.

I do appreciate your input, because at the opposite extreme, I've seen tutorials that were delivered like Vermont maple syrup in December. We do live at an accelerated pace these days, particularly on the web, and I was honestly afraid of boring people.

I'd like to hear from entry level users, too, Harry. I'm a little ham-strung (here I go apologizing again) with respect to level of experience and anything I might teach. Consider this: On one hand, Gary Priester has been providing tutorials on The Xara Xone for a staggering 15 years. One might expect that there's nothing left to teach! I don't have the time to pore through every single tutorial posted in 15 years, or I'd be a much older, wiser man, and that's not my charge. So I've taken what I feel is a safe route and I'm simply teaching what interests me, myself.

If it's over too many heads, I'd ask that these heads let me know right here.

Also, I'm going to try to write a featurette each month in the "Tips and Tricks" area. Not a continuation of the single paragraph Tips Gary P. has been writing, because I think he's covered all of the short ones! Expect these monthlies to be longer and geared toward the less skilled artist/user.

Appreciate your comments, Harry,
    —Gary

Thanks Gary. The 12-sided die was just a 'quickie'. I think I might have another go and try to construct a more photo-realistic die with some supporting scenery.

As to video tutorials, I like them as long as they're short and sweet. A quick tour around the UI or a 2 - 3 minute video on a specific procedure, technique, etc. works great for me. I think that nearly all of the Video Demos that Xara has on their website for Xara Designer Pro are perfect. When video tutorials get longer and have multiple steps and procedures is when I (and I suspect other people) start to have a problem. That's when it becomes a frustrating, nearly endless loop of STOP-REWIND-TRY TO FIND/TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU MISSED OR FORGOT-PLAY operations. On the other hand, I can usually find or re-read written instructions much quicker. As a bonus, written instructions, screen shots, photos, etc. can be copied and pasted right into and saved with your XX, XP&GD, or XDP document for quick reference, if needed. Quite handy if I do say so myself (and I do!).

Maybe some type of hybrid tutorial, mixed text and video, is the way to go. Just a thought.

Thanks for listening,
    Harry

I will make a mental note and stick it to the inside of my forehead for easy access, Harry.

I'm acquiring a list of significant length of people to please with my work!

Although I can see the sensibility of the length and depth of the Xara demos you posted a link to, I will be expected to out-do what amounts to "feature lists" and explanations—easily accomplished within 3 minutes because there's a logical length to a definition when explained in video.

Tell you what: I'll try to make future tutorials as good as I can, and please myself first, eh?

And I consider myself to be a real demanding audience.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 16 January 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Default Re: The Dodecahedron

Sounds like a plan to me:
    1. Please yourself!
    2. Please the masses.
    3. Let everyone else catch up, if they please!

I look forward to your next tutorial.

BTW, the Taming and Grooming Xara Designer write up in the Tips & Tricks section of The Xara Xone is a must read for new Xara Designer users. Many seasoned users of Xara Xtreme Pro/Designer Pro may even pick up a time saving Tip or Trick, or two. Well done, Gary!

Here's my attempt, although just followed the vid. and not anything fancy so to speak, the power and "blast" of your vid. sort a made you learn and I did learn a few things. I enjoyed the tut. very much. Will try some of the other shapes later.

Cheers, Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	86647