Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Here is what I am suggesting, folks. Javier, I cannot criticize your icosahedron—it by itself is terrific.
    BUT...do we go to an art gallery and appreciate only one element of a painting? No.

Artists need to practice composition. How do all the elements direct the viewer's eye?

Today's bonus lesson is on how asymmetry is usually better than symmetry in a composition.

Javier, I have taken your latest post and simplified it to show you and others how the three elements in your composition appear.

You have a white background in back. First of all: why? White and light colors make reflections look dull. Your tiles that the icosahedron are resting on are right in the center of the white background. Why? Why should the tiles be centered so perfectly? Then your icasahedron is resting on the tiles, almost in the center of your composition.

By making everything of almost equal size and centered, you take away from the importance of the icosahedron, which should be the star, the hero, of your composition. Look at what I did, and don't laugh because I did it so quickly.

Obviously, the green icosahedron is the star of the composition. The tiles are second in importance and the background is nothing, it's black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symmetry-is-not-good.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	86830

The lesson: let the part of your drawing that's the most important be in front, compose the picture asymmetrically so the vier's eye will go to the star of the drawing and stay there, don't let other elements be too important.

Also, look at the perspective of the tiles in the original images I posted. Look carefully, and use the Mould tool to make a very severe angle.

Don't let your icosahedron fall off the tiles!

I'm attaching a XAR file with the elements. Most of them are bitmaps, sorry!

—Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Stygg,
    Thank you very much for your recomendation, I'm uploading 2 files, the first one is modified according to your recomendation, the other one is just the object to show how the shadow is projected.
    Best regards and thank you very much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosaedro3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	86833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosaedro4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	86832  

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Here is what I am suggesting, folks. Javier, I cannot criticize your icosahedron—it by itself is terrific.
    BUT...do we go to an art gallery and appreciate only one element of a painting? No.

Artists need to practice composition. How do all the elements direct the viewer's eye?

Today's bonus lesson is on how asymmetry is usually better than symmetry in a composition.

Javier, I have taken your latest post and simplified it to show you and others how the three elements in your composition appear.

You have a white background in back. First of all: why? White and light colors make reflections look dull. Your tiles that the icosahedron are resting on are right in the center of the white background. Why? Why should the tiles be centered so perfectly? Then your icasahedron is resting on the tiles, almost in the center of your composition.

By making everything of almost equal size and centered, you take away from the importance of the icosahedron, which should be the star, the hero, of your composition. Look at what I did, and don't laugh because I did it so quickly.

Obviously, the green icosahedron is the star of the composition. The tiles are second in importance and the background is nothing, it's black.

Name:	symmetry-is-not-good.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	86830

The lesson: let the part of your drawing that's the most important be in front, compose the picture asymmetrically so the vier's eye will go to the star of the drawing and stay there, don't let other elements be too important.

Also, look at the perspective of the tiles in the original images I posted. Look carefully, and use the Mould tool to make a very severe angle.

Don't let your icosahedron fall off the tiles!

I'm attaching a XAR file with the elements. Most of them are bitmaps, sorry!

—Gary

Gary, what can I say???, your comment is what I was expecting to, you sent the light, the artist's secret, you've showed me what it bugged me from the drawing, thank you very much, here it goes my last attempt following your advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosaedro5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	86834  
    Javier

Magnificent - this thread just gets better and better
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Well I have certainly been enjoying this thread. It's given me some ideas, and some inspiration for sure Now I just need to find the extra time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I see some very nice images as a result of this tutorial. Nice job everyone.

I've got to admit that, even though software video tutorials aren't my favorite, this has been one of the liveliest (given both replies & views) tutorial threads in a long time. Judging by that data, I'd say the tutorial is a winner. I'd still like to see some less seasoned XX, XXP, XP&GD, or XDP users give this a go and post their questions and/or results.

Good job Gary (and crew).

We're encouraging everyone, Harry, all skill levels.

Two things are going to happen quite soon: The Xara Outsider will carry a skinny on the monthly tutorials here, so registered users (IOW a spectrum of skill level users) can discover the tutorials and tg—not everyone knows we're here, although the number of hits this new area is getting is encouraging.

Also, we decided to make the tutorials public on YouTube. So we may attract people who don't know The Xara Xone or tg exists, strange, but sometimes it happens. So I'm packing the metadata with all sorts of Xara stuff so the spiders pick it up, and as the hits on the videos increase, we'll gain more prominence in searches.

We'll try to maintain the same standards I adhere to in future tutorials, rest assured.

And Barbara went to the store and bought me thee dozen audio pauses to put in the next video.

My Best,
    —Gare

Javier that looks good but the triangles particularly on the top faces do not seem to have a reason for being there. I suppose they could be reflections form somewhere we the viewer are not seeing but that seems unlikely. If they are the result of the icosahedron being transparent that is also unlikely. I guess I'll just have to do one like I think it should look like. So thank you for that.
    EDIT: Looking again at what Gare posted, you did it perfectly.
    Last edited by wizard509; 23 January 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Wizard, I agree with you, it is the result of changing the floor perspective, I change the floor but not the faces reflections, I should change it according actual conditions.
    As soon as I'm free I'll do the changes
    Best regards
    Javier

I'm going to offer a redirection to the tutorial now.

Because I think we're polyhedroning ourselves into a pleasant stupor.

The video covered perspective, lighting, and texturing—on a planar, non-curved surface.

Is anyone game to take the attached Xara file and make it more photorealistic through texturing and shading? It's a quadrahedron by the way—a box .

The perspective is accurate, but that's about it. If you want to flex your shading talents, I say go for it!

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	86852

My Best,

—Gary

P.S. Here's a big-time technique/trick/revelation: if you draw a line exactly over any of the edges, and then use the Selector tool to extend the line exactly on the original line, you'll not only establish the perspective I used to draw it (a good enough study), but you'll also reveal the hidden line areas in the drawing, and could, in theory, design a glass box. It'd make a neat icon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Barbara B; 23 January 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo