Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

As soon as anyone has worked through the January video tutorial, let's post comments, suggestions, and questions right here.

Cool?

Thanks,
    —Gary

Default The Dodecahedron

Here's my attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garydodecahedron2.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	86586  
    Last edited by Rik; 13 January 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: slight change

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The Dodecahedron

Here is my rendition, as you can see I used one of the other images in the zip (forest floor) I like to use a tutorial as a guide and often experiment with it so to the shadow I added some blur using the enhance live effect and I coloured the tile green by changing the light colour in the bump map and I adjusted the brightness of each side using the enhance live effect. I think the enhance effect is under used and is very useful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodec.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	86588
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I really, really like the style of the tutorial, it's not too fast, not too slow, you have an easy-to-listen-to voice and, above all, you make it interesting. I did a mini-tut a little while ago for a guy who wanted to know how to put images on the faces of a cube (http://xaradesigner.co.uk/3d-cube/) and, although superficially similar, what you have done here is greatly expand on that line of thought whilst explaining many neat tips and tricks (like creating bitmap copies of live effects to save resources) that are difficult to explain in a 2D tutorial without completely losing the thread. I like the style and am looking forward to seeing more of them. I've not been tempted to do video tutorials myself but I like watching them more and more and your latest one simply confirms this

EDIT: One thing I do when I create a bitmap copy of a live effect is, I make a live copy of the live effect, enlarge it substantially, then make the bitmap copy, then reduce the bitmap copy to the size of the original live effect. In this way, if I need to enlarge the drawing for a poster or for print, I have some leeway before the pixels show up.
    Last edited by Big Frank; 14 January 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: comma in the wrong place. no, really... :p
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I liked the tut and the great way it was delivered, thanks Gary. Would it be rude of me to make comments about the look of the site? please say so as I will wait for a reply before I do anything.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well, I guess you have some negative comments, or you wouldn't be asking if it would be rude to post them, right?

Fire away, by all means, Albacore: I know of one technical error so far, that my wife Barbara and I will take a whack at today. I'm anxious, as any real artist is, to learn from a difference of opinion, so yes, please post your critiqué right here.

Caveat: No part of this forum is a democracy, so if I disagree with your criticisms, I win.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    No part of this forum is a democracy, so if I disagree with your criticisms, I win.
    Careful when you say things like that - some people will take you at your word
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sorry! That was my ham-handed way of saying, "I don't want negative criticism, and I believe it's my position as Moderator not to listen to any of it."

Which is of course utter rubbish, when viewed from the perspective of an adult.

But on the other hand, don't most of us retreat into a child-like mode when we are criticized?

Seriously, this is something to consider. We all realize we learn from mistakes, and at the same time we blush when we realize we've committed one in public. Some use denial as a defense, some apologize, but an inordinately small number of us do what we're supposed to do when critized: we learn, we get better by analyzing and correcting our foibles in the future.

That is why it's so very important to me to clarify some terms we all use daily, and to re-define their use on the forum:

Criticism-The accurate appraisal of a body of work. That's the classical definition and it works much better for me than, "to knock someone, or their work." There's really no such this as 'negative criticism', except for the critic to fail to accurately appraise something. Movie critics, by and large, are not that: they're insecure, failed movie directors that get their jollies by bashing real directors.

I'm open to criticism in the classical sense.

Opinion-Noun, classically defined as a personal pronouncement backed by some sort of facts, although mostly a statement delivered with passion. How many times do people begin a post with, "In my opinion..."? When it is instead a feeling, an emotional response backed by total fiction, or just an uneducated impression. I'm not singling anyone out on the forum, nor in New York, nor on Earth. It's just a personal bug; I'd like to see opinions put forth as opinions, and emotionally-charged impressions called "feelings", and not "opinions".

My two cents,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Here's my attempt.
    Rik, you did a totally commendable job!

If I didn't already realize your talents, I'd suspect you copied MY finished dodecahedron from the file I offer for download!

Well done, indeed! What did you learn, what do you think was missing from the tutorial?

-g-

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Here is my rendition, as you can see I used one of the other images in the zip (forest floor)
    Hey, I love it when someone puts a twist on a tutorial. It teaches someone, I feel, to be able to replicate something, as Rik, did, but there's also a side dimension to a completely tutorial when you riff, embellish, or otherwise walk off the tutorial's path.

I like it. Hopefully, did you learn something you didn't know before, and/or are you prompted to play with the other Platonic shapes or was this enough for you?

-g-