Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Houston, we have a Lift-Off

It sounds like a glitch or two within a full site relaunch. Always to be expected - so just give time for gare to respond.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerhaze View Post
    Not to be a party-pooper - I think it looks like crap. And where do we find GWPs tutorials?
    Disgraceful comment.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi and apologies everyone—

I think we have the link permanently working now. On the home page, if you click on the crate icon, you'll see an Archive page—click the screen cap and you're in Gary Priester's archives.

Name:  Archive-button.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  9.4 KB

The Archive nav button should work, too. At least 3 people have tested it five ago and they're working.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 14 January 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Hi Gary, please don't take my post as a criticism. It wasn't meant that way

I think we all know and appreciate, almost without exception , how much work goes into this kind of re-launch.

Hi Drwyd,

If I were thin-skinned, I wouldn't qualify for a Moderator, now, would I?

Not that I'm qualified, but I'm open to constructive criticism because it's about the only way I myself can learn, right?

Other issue: pages are going flaky Saturday the 14th 1:30pm NY time. It is not my doing, it is not a fault of the website's design. We have someone working remotely on a server at MAGIX, trying to sort out conflicts once and for all.

And those who helped put up this new site shouldn't be ashamed in the least by a few glitches. Smashing magazine went live with their new website last Thursday, their techies are WordPress gods, and according to their Twitter feed, they are having problems as bad as we have, if not worse.

—Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hi and apologies everyone—

I think we have the link permanently working now. On the home page, if you click on the crate icon, you'll see an Archive page—click the screen cap and you're in Gary Priester's archives.

Name:  Archive-button.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  9.4 KB

The Archive nav button should work, too. At least 3 people have tested it five ago and they're working.

My Best,

Gary
    Everything seems to be working as advertised Gary.....GREAT JOB!!!.....oh about criticism, I think the better term is constructive criticism...as anybody is able to rip something but it's also good to come with a constructive solution if there is a true criticism.....that way we all learn.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Well, yeah, agreed, Ed—

If we could please everyone:
    1.) There would be very little left for ourselves, and
    2.) We'd be Sarah Lee, or McDonald's or something else that's totally bland.

I explained my personal feelings on criticism on the tutorial discussion page, no need or request to repeat myself here (!), but yes, I'm open to suggestions, and I fully expect several members to dislike the site's new look when compared to Gary P.'s design work.

That's what the inability to please everyone is all about. Hopefully, the site will grow on people, and I'll make tweaks as time goes by.

As far as it looking "like crap", I'd venture to agree if you're looking at it with IE6.

We optimized and compromised so that the site will look more or less as intended using: a tablet browser, including Kindle Fire, the Apple iPad, the Samsung Galaxy, Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9, Firefox and Safari. Opera possibly, I'll ask Barbara.

We wanted our crap to look the same across all devices .

My Best,

—Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

The site looks very nice in Google Chrome, and all links now appear to be working fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sorry everyone about the trouble with reaching Gary (Priesters) pages, entirely our fault. We think it is all fixed now, and the 'old Xone' home page is now at http://www.xaraxone.com/archive.htm. Note you do not have to update any links to pages within the old site, everything is still where it was before - tutorials, art etc etc. There is of course a mountain of great material there so I hope you'll forgive us if there are still a few breaks that we haven't tracked down, we will continue to check and fix as required - please let us know of anything you find that doesn't look right.

I have taken the liberty of removing references to the archive.xaraxone URL from posts in this thread in the (probably forlorn) hope of preventing Google from picking it up.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Well, if the Xone looks like crap, I have no chance of ever producing anything of quality. This is an audacious, far-reaching, wonderfully artistic representation of a site that many have gotten used to seeing in a different presentation. I think time will tell and people do need time to change their outlooks of what they've been used to for years. Change is one thing people tend to resist wholeheartedly and sometimes even with animosity. Hopefully there will be none of that here as the amount of work to do this had to be xtremely xtensive on your and your teammates resources. I say job xtremely well done (that word just keeps on popping up) and I for one love it. It's fun, inventive and fresh.

BTW, we just got a new phone, an android and the site looks wonderful on it. Also, the video tutoria looks great, hope to get some time this weekend to actually do it.

Awesome, awesome job Gare.
    Last edited by Karateed; 14 January 2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: great forgetful memory
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11