Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 2 Color Logo Ideas

The single color is a good idea, any thoughts on a nice color, I've struggled with the color? Would using a second color help with making a more elegant design? What causes the big jump in printing costs? Is it using 4 colors by themselves to color something, is that the spot coloring mentioned, or is it using 4 color to generate n colors to do an elaborate design? When you say "CopyCraft prints CMYK for about what most printers charge for 2 color" what does prints CMYK mean?

laguna,

I don't know the significance between CMYK and PMS spot color.

Well then, you are going to need to learn the difference because the language, the terms, used in specifying jobs to printers needs to be understood. So when you mention "two-color" for the logo, that means two inks are used, most typically Pantone inks. This is commonly called "spot color." (There are other spot color makers in addition to Pantone but are less commonly found.)

The CMYK abbreviation stands for four colors of ink: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. These are called Process colors. (Like Pantone being but one maker of ink, there is also other Process color models that use other inks in addition to CMYK...).

Your logo is possible to do fully in two Spot colors. The main change would be in the circled "i" because that would introduce a third color, but the gradient would still be possible. If y'all really were in love of that exact logo being on the envelopes, then one could do it. I don't recommend it as I think it is overkill for envelopes being that it will be reduced in size so much.

I would get away from an outlined or rectangular shape. That would look too much like someone had simply shrunk down a business card.

At quantity 2k, it is almost at the borderline for using a smaller offset place versus digital. So do check prices *after* you get the design pretty well established. Depending on the design, the amount of ink will affect the price a tad.

Take care, Mike

When you say "Your logo is possible to do fully in two Spot colors." do you mean the original gold logo?

"I would get away from an outlined or rectangular shape."
    You're suggesting not to use the colored rectangle in the in the envelope logo? Any suggestions what to do if the rectangle is removed, what kind of treatment?

Something like this. I do not have the correct caps and lowercase font so I used a similar font.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-color-logo.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	86487  

So you are saying the original logo minus the dark background should be printable with 2 colors? can you send me the xara file?

Quote Originally Posted by laguna92651 View Post
    can you send me the xara file?
    give a man a fish and you feed him for a day

teach a man to fish and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

No, Laguna. I am suggesting inexpensive 4 color printing so that your wife's cards and envelopes and letterheads can look the same.

Think of it this way. Your client/wife is in a very competitive business. She is competing with the large financial institutions who offer the same services as well as the smaller businesses and consultants. So her identity (logo, card, etc.), are going to be the image that people have of her. If the identity is on the cheap, i.e., 2 color, then she is going to look small time. If she has well designed, classy stationery, she will look like a player. IOW she needs to invest in her image to establish herself as a player.

If she passes out her card to someone at a networking affair, or sends a follow up letter, she needs to look like she is the best out there. This is what identity is all about.

Mr. B'gascon - You are such a cynic.

Here is my 2-cent contribution to the conversation:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logo-Insight.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	86495

Here's a link to my XAR file: http://www.box.com/s/r9q6ah0kiepfqfe77tfo

The Xara file contains the stacked shapes. I did not perform any Combine Shapes actions so that you could tweak everything on your own. Sorry the "i" is kind of a hack job since I did it very quickly. I did not concentrate on the text. I figured you could bring that in from your original source.

By the way, I really like your original design. It looks clean, professional, and sophisticated.

Hope this helps in some way.

--Mike.

http://www.burlapmonkey.com/portfolio/
    Last edited by Mike Risner; 08 January 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Nice website Mike and a very interesting blog.

I have one suggestion on your graphics page. It is not clear if you are the designer of the various logos. It might be a good idea to spell that out.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Nice website Mike and a very interesting blog.

I have one suggestion on your graphics page. It is not clear if you are the designer of the various logos. It might be a good idea to spell that out.
    Wow! I never thought about that. I never intended for people to think I designed government or NFL logos. I'm looking at other media presentation solutions that allow more flexibility. SimpleViewer is impressive, but doesn't appear to allow comments for each object in the gallery.

Thanks again for the tip!

--Mike.

http://www.burlapmonkey.com/portfolio/