Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2 Color Logo Ideas

Hi, I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask this question or not. I designed this logo for my wife, I'm don't do this for a living. Now she needs a version for a return address on an envelope, so she would like something that can be printed inexpensively. So I assume it would need to be 2 colors and no gradients. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how I might format a simpler logo using the same general design look, I would also need to integrate two lines of address. Everything I have tried has been pretty ugly, the gold effect is done with gradients, so I can't reproduce that and any other 2 colors I use don't look very good. I assume the first thing to do would be to lose the dark background, the envelope would be white Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insight Logo Gold 3 With Back Gradient.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	86457

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: 2 Color Logo Ideas

I would for an envelope go with a simple black and white version. You are on the right track with dropping the dark background. Here is a quick example following your basic design although I didn't take the time to match up the fonts you used You should get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insight.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	86458
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Specifically what size envelope? A standard #10? Will there be any letter or legal size envelopes?

How many envelopes does she want printed at any given run? If smaller runs, I would compare prices with fast-turn digital printers. These will be CMYK not spot color. However, they can do smaller runs for a competitive price (and usually less expensive) compared to offset.

Also check some of the local, small offset printers. I have used a couple around here that can do small runs of 1-2 spot colors for an attractive price. Once over a certain number in the run, though, medium and large offset printers really come into their own.

For #10 envelopes, I would consider using a single PMS spot color. Something not black and likely a match to the green-gold you have in the logo. Unless the size of text drops too small. Then you'll need to pick a darker color because of a visual drop-out.

For the letter envelopes (unfolded sheet envelopes), a larger, fuller design would be appropriate.

You mention you don't do this for a living. One of the first things a designer asks a potential client is: What is your budget. Then design more or less flows from the budget consideration. Knowing the budget aids in keeping the designer form "going wild" and spending an inordinate amount of time doing work that may well be wonderful, but may be beyond the scope of the project. Knowing the budget also begins to answer the print technology question--which also affects the design.

Take care, Mike

A two-colour thought from an amateur
    (I hope I haven't screwed up the attachment process!)
    Bev
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-colour.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	86472  

hi, thanks for the inputs. The envelopes will be #10 and will be using a commercial printer, the printer is a client of my wife's so don't have any flexibility in changing. The printing run will probably be 2000 envelopes or so. I don't know the significance between CMYK and PMS spot color. The initial design of the logo was for her web site that I thought I would do for "fun" since I had just gotten Xara, then one thing leads to another.

I kinda like the arch background idea, but I'm still bothered by the color. I quess the "gold look" comes from the shading effect? Does the black outline on the INSIGHT text cause a printing problem? Does a fuzzy drop shadow cause a printing problem. As Angelize suggested maybe just black and white? I'm a little concerned that black and white may be too stark. Is there a rule of thumb of what size the logo should be for a #10 envelope?

Just a suggestion. But I have a fairly elaborate 4-color logo that I print on letterheads and business cards using my desktop ink jet printer. The printing looks professional and it saves a lot of money printing just in time vs getting 500-1000 printed envelopes.

Thanks, that is what she is currently doing, now wants to get the envelopes printed commercially. By the way I love you Roadrunner sign company logo, it just wreaks of creativity and design.

Thanks. That was done years and years ago for a Corel Magazine Makeover Maven article. I don't think they ever used it.

CopyCraft printers in Lubock does a good job and are pretty reasonable.

You could do this nice and simple with just one colour, if you like?!
    Of course, you would have to choose which colour!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insight logo.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	86485  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I forgot to mention, CopyCraft prints CMYK for about what most printers charge for 2 color so you wife can have great looking envelopes and not spend any more.