Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nav bar issue

Default Re: Nav bar issue

Hi again guys, i'm still struggling a bit with the concept of the buttons, iv'e posted the web files for my other webpage i did for xmas, if any of you clever types can work out how i can get the navbar in the valentines site to work the same as the one in the xmas page i'd be eternally grateful! - from what i can see, the xmas.web layer and gallery is showing just two layers, MouseOver and MouseOff and the navbar works a treat. - In the valentines.web site, the layer gallery has 3 layers, MouseOver, MouseOff and MouseDown - thats where i'm a bit confused, the working navbar (xmas page) has one less layer but does the exact thing i was looking for i.e page highlight, mouseover action and mousedown action - really cant work this one out.....

Hope the above makes sense, tho the website navbars speak for themselves...

my attempts at copying the navbar didnt seem to work for me - even copying the xmas navbar direct into the vanlentines one didnt work which leaves me to believe something else is going on i may have done...
    Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ramshackle; 07 January 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addition

Abi's version does not have mouse over effect however.

I MouseOff is the primary layer and MouseOver is the layer that will highlight the button when the visitors cursor passes over the image. MouseDown is an option layer that can be used to display a different image when the button is clicked.

As dwryd points out, but defaut, the mouse over layer is displayed to identify the current page.

Hi gwpriester, thx for chipping in, as you say abi's version doesnt have the mouse over effect, but when i built the xmas webpage all i did was drop the navbar on what i assume was the "mouseoff" layer and as you can see when previewed it does "stick" to the page, "highlight" when mouse over and the image changes a little when clicked, which is what i want to emulate on the valentine.web site, the navbar on the xmas.web site was just a stock one from the gallery but i cant make it play ball in the valentine.web site, please accept my apologies if i'm appearing dim here, but i'm assuming if i just drag and drop a navbar into the "mouseoff" layer it should behave like the one in the xmas.web site but it doesnt seem to be the case here for some reason.

Again thx for the input

Ray

OK Even I learn something new every day. (Or I relearn something I have forgotten).

If you create three button states, MouseOff, MouseOver, and MouseDown, the mouse down will serve to indicate the selected page.

So using this method the selected page button will be different from the mouse over button and will also give you an additional action when the button is press.

See attached.

Ray, you have to make sure that the bar you dropped on the mouse off layer, retains its layers. It probably has merged all the layers onto the mouse off layer.

Hi gw, i learn something everytime i come here to be honest lol

Ray, you have to make sure that the bar you dropped on the mouse off layer, retains its layers. It probably has merged all the layers onto the mouse off layer.
    That bit interests me, is their a way i can stop that merging from happening, (assuming it might be doing that) - all i have been doing to be honest is using the supplied navbars in WD7 - and again if you look at the xmas.web file it seems to emulate a 3 button state? or is that a trick of the eye? - could it be to do with the colour scheme i have chosen for the valentine.web navbar causing the hiccup?

am looking at the file you attached as i type

again thank you for taking the time to help out

Ok just to clear up something i have posted another web file of the site in question and deleted the navbar and replaced it with a design from the gallery, added to more buttons and made it a website navbar - if you look at the result, i get the mouseover effect, get the mousedown style effect (i know their are only two layers here) and the "home" tab is highlighted, now if you navigate the site none of the other pages exhibit the "sticky" tab - is that normal? - again on the xmas.web file they all "stick" as you navigate through the site.

again apologies for dragging this out but its niggling me no end!

Ray
    Last edited by Ramshackle; 07 January 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Hi Ray

You need to delete the MouseDown layer from all your pages. If this layer is present then the layer that is looked to for the highlight effect switches from the Over layer to the Down layer. If it is present but blank then the highlight (and Down effect) is non existent.
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 January 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added examples

Hi Drwyd, yep i see what your getting up and thanks sooo much for the xar files, just to be clear (i'm having a bad day today!) if you look at the last web file attached, if you look at the xmas.web file, although the "style" isnt right, what it does is - i have a test page of the valentines site where it has no mousedown layer and its misbehaving, (this is the last webfile posted) i am really so gratefull for all the help i'm getting - i'm sure uv'e had a look at the navbar in the xmas.web thats what i want in function (dif colours of course) - if you were all closer i'd buy u all a pint!

p.s can i use the xar files in any way?

ray

Right click on a blank area of the page or pasteboard area and select Page Options...
    General

Select the option to Import Layers into New Layers.

This will separate things like Navigation Bars, buttons, etc. and place the buttons on the proper layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers options.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	86476  

Hi again gw, have tried that on my test copy of the site and although it does what it says on the tin and loads the nav bar layers into imported layers, tho i'm sad to say it didnt help much, to be honest i'm not sure whats going on here, everything is fine on the xmas.web file i posted, i just cantr get the same result in the valentine.web file - if your interested i did post the test web file si if anyone is looking at the problem its in that one, not in the modded file abi kindly did for me, i'm kinda giving up on it, i'll maybe take another look at it with some fresh eyes later, tho i' sure one you guys will pinpoint the prob if you can spare the time!

Again thx for all the input, if nothing i have learnt some valuable stuff i can use in the future. - i'm off over to announce the launch of it on the website forum (using the modded navbar that abi did)

Ray

Hi Ray

i have a test page of the valentines site where it has no mousedown layer and its misbehaving, (this is the last webfile posted)
    You have a blank MouseDown layer on all but the index page

p.s can i use the xar files in any way?
    No probs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RayMD.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	86484