Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nav bar issue

WD6 Nav bar issue

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help with a navbar, its 5 buttons wide and the first button is the "home" (index.htm) - it all works fine in the previews apart from all the other buttons are highlighted to show the page your on when browsing the page, the only one that doesn't is the Home button that stays the same colour, i'm sure it was working previously, it navigates fine just doesnt show solid when your on the the page like the others do.

can post web file if needed!

ray

Default Re: Nav bar issue

Hi Ray

Since there are only five buttons, it might make more sense to edit one button and recreate your navigation bar.

You say that all but the home button are working fine, so try this. Double click on the nav bar to open the Navigation Bar Properties menu. In the lower left click, Ungroup to Edit Graphics. Delete all but one of the buttons that is working.

Then select the remaining button, open the Navigation Bar Properties (in the Website Properties fly out menu, last icon) and recreate your bar. Adjust your spacing, orientation, etc. as desired.

Hi, did give that a go and rebuilt the navbar but now none of the buttons are "sticky" at least its consistent! - deleted the whole navbar and rebuilt using several other of the examples and none seem to exhibit the "page your on" highlight for some reason - just seems weird - i guess some of the nave sets do and others dont. its not to much of a bother - i maybe might try some of the buttons and build something from them - thanks for the help tho, think i'm stuck with it - unless you have any other suggestions?

Ray

You can post your .web file and someone can have a look see to see if we can spot the problem.

Hi i've posted the web file for the site i'm working on, the nav bar is a rebuilt new one, but is still exhibiting the same problem, on this one none of the buttons "stick" to the page they are on, that is to say if your on say "home" the home button usually stays highlighted to let you know where you are on the site, dont remember doing anything unusual for it all to stop working like that, if its something i did i cant see what!

Much appreciate the help.

Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Ramshackle. If you want the page you are on to be highlighted (ie the tab to 'stick') then it needs to be in the Mouse Down Layer. I have done it for you on your navbar because I had such a great chuckle reading your site and I had a couple of minutes to spare afterwards. For your reference this is what I did :

To keep the tab highlighted it needs to be in the MOUSE DOWN layer.
    Go to the Page & Layer Gallery and unclick the redeye in the MOUSE OFF layer.
    Drag and drop the NavBar from the Mouse Off layer and put it in the Mouse Down Layer. Do this on all your pages.

There you go grumpy old git. I would like to see a site from the GOG's guide to life website!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Auto highlighting of the current page is default behaviour with just the MouseOver an MouseOff layers present. It will also work with those two layers plus the MouseDown layer. In this case the Down layer is used for the page indicator. As yours was blank nothing was there to display.

P.S. Just read through the site, brilliant
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 January 2012 at 03:21 AM.

WD6 Re: Nav bar issue

Drwyd you are a genius (fawn fawn) i'm still coming to grips with mouse on mouse off mouse traps etc and it now makes sense, what is odd though is that i have used several type of supplied navbar templates and got the same result - the original problem may have happened when i was changing the colour scheme of the navbar - to correct it if i just use your modded web file is to just replace my one with the one you done?

Hopefully if i can get my last few brain cells into gear i will finish the last page today and the site will go live on sunday sometime, so i will post a message in the websites bit on here in case anyon else fancies a chuckle.

Again thx so much for sorting it out and Easter is next on the hitlist and your suggesting is interesting.....

Just as a side issue, the changes have given me the the effect that went missing, just expanding on that, if for instance i wanted the nav bar to "highlight" each button on mouseover action, looking in the mouseover layer thats blank at the moment, i'm assuming i would need to copy the bar and make it a different colour and make sure it was in the mouseover layer to work? or is that too simplistic?

Ray

Ray
    Last edited by Ramshackle; 07 January 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Additions.

Hi Ray

Abi Spotted the problem (and supplied the fix) I just added the extra info

i'm assuming i would need to copy the bar and make it a different colour and make sure it was in the mouseover layer to work? or is that too simplistic?
    Nope, that's pretty much it
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 January 2012 at 10:34 AM.

My sincere aplogies to Abi, it was a quick read quite early this morning my "not worthy" is directed to you for spotting it and Drwyd gets an extra credit! many thx to you both youv'e saved this Grumpy Old Git a few more grey hairs!

I hope you both get what you want for Valentines Day lol

Ray