Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question about Keyboard Dexterity

I note that in most of the tutorials, the creator appears to be using keyboard shortcuts rather than clicking on the buttons with mouse or pen. I’m an amateur and I use both mouse and pen. I am not a typist (keyboarder) so to use the shortcuts, I have to look, then often release the mouse to use two hands (ctl-K for example). So the question: Are you experts able to keep your eyes on the screen, one hand on the keyboard, and the other on the mouse? – or, do you actually use the buttons but include the keyboard shortcuts in your commentary?
    Just curious Bev

Default Re: Question about Keyboard Dexterity

i don't use a pen, i used one once (a gift) with which i didn't get on at all and have never tried to use one again. when I draw, i do so with my trusty mouse. when i design i do so with mouse and keyboard. i think it's a case of getting so accustomed to your keyboard that you know where the keys are. I am forever zooming in and out and scrolling left and right, and i do so without looking at the keyboard, but for many other functions i click the relevant button with the mouse. i've always struggled with typing and although i have been a keyboard user for at least 25 years (i even have a professional qualification in journalism) i have never been able to touch type

oh wait... you were asking about those who create video tutorials... oh, never mind... i'll go now...

*pills, where are my pills? *

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sorry, I should have addressed the question to all of you experts. Yes, I know it's off topic, but I'd been trying unsuccessfully to adapt to keyboard shortcuts.
    Bev

Bev I believe Frank was saying his post was off topic.

I prefer to use the mouse with added controlbars and the right click popup menus rather than shortcut keys which often are changed from version to version. One of my most used popup menu items was deleted in version 7, so guess I will need to find some other way to keep my work flow uninterrupted by new changes.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Bev I believe Frank was saying his own post was off topic.
    yep!!!
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

the pro version has user assignable keystrokes - this makes non-visual use of the keyboard a lot easier IMO
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by bev mcquain View Post
    So the question: Are you experts able to keep your eyes on the screen, one hand on the keyboard, and the other on the mouse? – or, do you actually use the buttons but include the keyboard shortcuts in your commentary?
    People process information differently. For some, mousing is the way to go for just about everything. Some of us use pen & tablet, and some of us just can't work that way. For me, keyboard shortcuts work so much faster than mousing for many functions that I don't mind redefining the keys I use when a new version of Xara comes out.

As for drawing with a pen, to the extent that I've ever learned to draw, I learned using a mouse. I've tried to shift over to pen on tablet, but I still can't do it. So I continue to make images with what GWP refers to as a "bar of soap". Works for me.

(Believe it or not, when I do use the tablet, it's mostly for menuing while I'm experiencing RSI.)

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I actually use mouse and keyboard more than my tablet, but for free hand drawing I use the pen and tablet. I am actually a lousy typist but some of the keyboard shortcuts are handy. When doing a video tutorial I try to show the multiple ways to access a feature. And I have also made use of the button palette (Designer Pro has this feature, I don't know about P&GD) to add custom buttons for features I use a lot like "convert to editable shapes"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I can't live without keyboard shortcuts, and being able to redefine them was one of the main reasons I switched to Pro. I'm very happy that I have recently upgraded to a desk with a keyboard tray wide enough to accommodate my keyboard, mouse, and drawing tablet without overlap.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    And I have also made use of the button palette to add custom buttons for features I use a lot like "convert to editable shapes"
    you mean like the "convert to editable shapes" button supplied as standard?
    Avoiding Manual Labour.