Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Back again - just wanted to thank everyone, plus ask about erasers

i have absolutely no use for an eraser tool, but having said that it's a long-standing sore point with a lot of xarans and a lot of people who come to xara from other, lesser graphics apps that xara doesn't have an eraser tool and even though i wouldn't use it, i think we should really have one. who knows, even i might find it useful!

come on, xara towers, let's have an eraser tool for the drawing and sketching community
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Just a guess on my part and seeing as this question has been brought up many times over the past decade or more. If it were a simple change to the core application it would already have been implemented.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There's (at the least) two parts to any programming change. It begins first with seeing the advantage or need to make the change. Then it is a matter of incorporation.

I would hazard a guess it is more the lack of seeing the need and or being a lower priority than the features that have been incorporated over the last several versions.

Take care, Mike

A little too large to upload to the forum...only about 560k but slower connections beware.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/dp-erase1.avi
    Last edited by mwenz; 06 January 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added linky

perhaps implementing a "line that cuts through any object below" that draws the same color as the page BG and then commits, then auto-convert-line-to-shape, selecting-all-objects-beneath-the-line, group-all-objects-beneath-the-line, then boolean-subtract-lineshape-from-group, ungroup..............

It would be a quick workaround to calm the users until a better mode
    Ron Cavagnaro

yes, it would be great to have an eraser with that functionality - i can actually see me using that now that i see the beast in action

thanks for posting that

(p.s. with camstudio and other tools you can convert avi to swf, smaller file and streams on the page)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

thanks Mike

very useful for 'sculpting shapes' very quickly
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Actually the availability is nearly there, you can nearly do what you see in Mike's video already. draw freehand over any vector shape with your freehand drawing selected ctrl+X to cut to clipboard then right click on shape and paste Opacity Mask. What would be better would be if an OM could be made into a brush, then not only would you have the much desired eraser, but you would be able to customize it as well by applying a circular transparency or feathering to your OM shape you could control the hardness/softness of your eraser brush. Sadly it doesn't work (yes I tried it) Perhaps this is something that Xara might want to look at in future versions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Actually the availability is nearly there, you can nearly do what you see in Mike's video already
    interesting idea Frances - but sadly I have to disagree

I don't see any difference between the result of an opacity mask and the result of boolean subtract - except that it works with a line directly so you can miss out the 'convert line to shape' step, which as they say is at least better than a poke in the eye

it probably doesn't work in a brush because you are not actually 'painting transparency', it's not an entity in itself that you could make a brush out of
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Drawplus has an eraser and pdf export to load into XDP
    Artrage is indeed a nice scribble/pencil tool and with drawplus autotrace function conversion to vector great to use too

But to have a time saver,having inkscape is a must,it has an eraser and supports metafile copy/pasting
    It supports metafile from IS>DPx5 DPx5>IS | XDP>IS IS>XDP | DPx5>XDP but not XDP>DPx5 ??
    (it has a paste special feature with an option for enhanced metafile but it doesn't recognize the file on the clipboard,so it is stuck as a png without transparency)

Hans