Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Back again - just wanted to thank everyone, plus ask about erasers

Looks like I made a big mistake buying Xara - an expensive mistake. Let the buyer beware, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonicorn View Post
    Looks like I made a big mistake buying Xara - an expensive mistake. Let the buyer beware, I guess.
    That's a remark I really don't understand. Even though I think there should be an eraser, I know, like other Xara users, it's not a must-have tool.

There are a number of Xara users producing work of a similar style to yours, for several years now, so the lack of an eraser is an inconvenience but not a barrier. As you may have realised many Xara users prefer the vector graphics method of working because of it's precision.

It's really not at all a case of buyer beware, it's more a case of spending time to become familiar with the toolset rather than assume a particular tool is essential.

Try and spend some more time with the software, rather than just baling out. Others have already shown you that the work you are doing is perfectly possible with Xara.

Say what? Let the buyer beware of what, exactly? All Xara products come with a fully functional 30 day trial and a full 30 day money back guarantee. Almost 60 full days to discover if you like Xara's product(s) and their features/functions. That's more than enough time to discover that there isn't any eraser, which several people have indicated that you really don't need, anyway.

Have you taken a whack at the tutorial that I provided a link for back in Post #22? If you don't like the Rubber Ducky, there are years of excellent tutorials on The XaraXone. Pick one and give it a go. If you spend a little time learning the tools available in the application, instead of spending time lamenting about an eraser that isn't available, the payoff will be huge. Why erase when you can directly manipulate and position the lines & objects? There are thousands of fantastic images made with Xara products posted on TG and, unless they were pre- or post-processed using another application, not one of them has needed an eraser tool to be completed.

That said, not every software application is for everyone. I must admit that CorelDraw frustrates me to no end.

Don't give up,
    Harry

there's an excellent example (several really) on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKIbTIEAwQ that shows one of the Xara members who does sketches completely in Xara. It may offer some insight for you.
    Glenn

Toonicorn, you haven't wasted a penny. Listen to these guys. They know what's up.

I make a fulltime living using xara at work. Learn Xara's workflow.

If you're looking for natural media simulation, get artrage.

When you're done making a graphic in artrage, import it into xara, and make precise lines with the mouse and pen tool to finalize your sketches.

If you learn how to use xara properly, you will NOT REGRET your purchase.
    Ron Cavagnaro

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Why erase when you can directly manipulate and position the lines & objects?
    well you could say 'why erase and why directly manipulate either' when you could just draw the line right in the first place, though not of course in xara which is not designed for this - either approach takes its own kind of skill and whichever way you choose to do it, in reality the aim should be not to produce lines that need erasing in the first place

you need a pen too for the freehand approach to get pressure sensitive response

also if you are using stroke shapes and you remove part of the line that may not end up as you would wish

The real issue with eraser is ease and speed - remember speed?, its what xara claims to be good at, why should the shape tool have it all?

Harry makes a good point about learning the program first - actually xara is a damn fine program and excellent value for money, but like all programs it does what it does the way that it does it and you need to understand it to get the most out of it, and there are certain things it just cannot do - almost human eh?

and finally Xara is the only, repeat only, major vector editor that does not have an eraser and that should say something to everyone
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

...The only art software I used before I got Xara was Photoshop Elements 4, which is a nice program except there's no vector pen...
    Then purchase one of the CS versions of Photoshop. Or PhotoLine. Either will allow integration of vector work and bitmap tools on different layers. Or, learn to use what you already have, XDP. But to learn XDP you will need to divorce yourself from thinking in bitmap terms for drawing.

A definitely workable solution is to do the initial drawing in XDP using shapes, lines and the easier fills in shapes. Then export out a copy as a PNG for manipulation within your Photoshop Elements. Neither application is exclusive to the other, they can be used in conjunction and several of the cartoon artists use them as such--sometimes beginning in one or the other.

Take care, Mike

One way to erase without having a dedicated 'Eraser Tool' in Xara Xtreme, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, and Xara Designer Pro.

OK, maybe it's more constructive to demonstrate why a dedicated 'Eraser Tool' is really not needed in Xara's graphic applications. Literally, an 'eraser' of almost any shape can be quickly manufactured using the standard design tools. You can even color it pink if you'd like. See the attachments for a quick demo.

Other times you can give the illusion of having 'erased' a portion of an object or image by merely drawing the required shape and positioning the shape over the area that you would like to appear missing. Need a 'softer eraser' effect? Just apply a bit of feathering to the overlying shape.

On the other hand, if a majority of Xara's customers, or potential customers, want an 'Eraser Tool', I say, "Give them erasers!"

Cool Stuff,
    Harry

ERASER Alternative.xar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERASER Alternative.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	86429

yes Harry - no offence, but acurate though that is in every respect it rather misses the point...

if you are drawing freehand it can break your concentration to have to take time out to do that, compared to say just 'press a modifier key and have your freehand[or shape] tool instantly become a 'remover' rather than a 'drawer' - now I am quite appreciate of the guys that make drawings in the 'tortoise' way, but sometimes I wonder if some of them appreciate what its like to be a 'hare' - I'm not saying toonicorn is one or the other, but xara is not really a program for true 'hares' IMO - not for those who want to draw lines that look like they were drawn with sable brushes anyhow - and yes you can do that in xara too with retrospective modification - if you have the time and nothing else to be getting on with..

anyhow the obvious solution for me is not to use xara for this.... I have several programs I don't use that much but I am truely grateful that, on the odd occasion, when I need them, I got them and kept them on-board.. xara will might slide into that catagory generally for me, already has for lineart, in which case I will cease to bore you all with 'best tool for the specific job first', 'swiss army knife second' stuff

take care

[BTW - since the freehand tool already has a strictly limited 'press a modifier key and have your freehand tool instantly become a 'remover' rather than a 'drawer' function I wonder if it would be that hard to implement for lines already laid down, for that tool at least - but its not firm indication of course, I really don't know]

and in case anyone feels inclined to quote Aesop - that was just propaganda 'tha knowst'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Think of Xara as an art "finalizer", "scalable art designer", "illustrative", "cardboard cutout" tool. It CAN be used for sketching, but if you want to scribble and erase lines etc, artrage. It's free, and awesome in different ways. Xara is never a waste, if you say it, then you don't understand it yet.
    Ron Cavagnaro