Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Back again - just wanted to thank everyone, plus ask about erasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Good news.

I'm trialling the Eraser Tool at the moment.
    If things work out fine, then an Easter release is scheduled.
    That's awesome, thanks!

Toonicorn, on the other side of the coin, I've been using Xara products for 3 years, or so, and haven't thought once about using or needing an eraser tool. Other tools, yes! An eraser, no. Vector programs are about lines, curves, shapes and their manipulation using the nodes/points that comprise them with the Shape Tool (F4). Other tools are also handy when combined with Add, Subtract, Intersect and Slice shape operations, and the overlapping of shapes/objects.

You may want to take a breather and try one of Gary Priester's excellent XaraXone Tutorials. I HIGHLY recommended them. I'm thinking that the recent Rubber Ducky Tutorial would be a great place to start. I guarantee you'll learn at least one new technique in addition to node manipulation.

Give it a try!,
    HayTay

Hi Toonicorn,

You will need to connect your individual lines to form closed shapes. I have made some minor edits to your file and to form three closed shapes to demonstrate how a vector application can be used to create the toonicorn.

I would recommend not using a photo template for your drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toonicorn.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	86377  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

This one uses the colours from your avatar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toonicorn2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	86379  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Toonicorn,

You will need to connect your individual lines to form closed shapes. I have made some minor edits to your file and to form three closed shapes to demonstrate how a vector application can be used to create the toonicorn.

I would recommend not using a photo template for your drawings.
    Thanks, Soquili. I know about closed lines - I just did the sketch in a hurry, hoping I might get some advice about how to eliminate overlapping lines since Xara has no eraser.

I didn't know I was using a photo template. ??? I think maybe that happened because I was trying to crop the original image and nothing else I found in the toolbars would let me do that.

The lines in that drawing are pretty bad. One thing that kept happening is that I would choose a pen stroke, but it would then default to another one (the same one every time) after I drew a line. Frustrating!

Hi Toonicorn,

To remove the bits you don't want you need to use the Shape Tool.

Briefly: Select the line you want to edit, go into the Shape Tool, move the pointer to the place where you want the line to end and the pointer shape will change to a white arrowhead. Click to create a new point in the line, then select all the other points on the line beyond your new point (using marquee selection) and delete them.

This becomes very easy and natural the more you do it. One of the the excellent community helpers here might be able to explain it better.

Phil

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Toonicorn View Post
    It feels so unnatural to draw a line and have it wiggle all over the place before you finish drawing it. :P )
    welcome to vector

vector lines are not 'natural' lines like paint, which Photoshop and other bitmap[aka raster, pixel] programs mimic - they are mathematically calculated line paths that exist 'off the page' and they have to be calculated as you draw - the more lines you draw, and the faster you draw, the more you will notice the process as it happens

xara's tools, such as the shape tool are very quick to use relative to other vector programs, but its a different approach

to work effectively in vector you are going to have to adjust to always doing a certain amount of repositioning and tweaking of lines after you have drawn them - if this is not what you want to do, a vector program may well not be what you need

you can minimise the 'wiggle' by using layers, as the calculations only affect the current layer - you can apply smoothing, but then the line does not end up following the path you actually drew - what I don't think you can get away from is the fact that vector is best suited for careful construction of a drawing from descrete parts, rather than drawing tightly controlled freehand lineart - I've never got it to work well for this, I tried for quite a while, but went back to using a dedicated [japanese] cartoon lineart bitmap program

if you are used to drawing a line to go where you want it as you draw it then personally I cannot recommend any vector program because form experience I don't think its the right tool for that job - colouring, lettering, paste-up yes, I do these often in xara, but not that sort of lineart
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 January 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As someone who uses the Shape Tool probably more than all other tools combined, and is used to manipulating things on a node level all the time, I personally don't have a need for an eraser. However, I'm glad one's finally on its way, because the debate can finally be put to rest. Those who want it will use it, those who don't will ignore it or remove it from their toolbar. Case closed.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    I'm glad one's finally on its way, because the debate can finally be put to rest. Those who want it will use it, those who don't will ignore it or remove it from their toolbar. Case closed.

-- Ben
    Sadly, Rik was pulling our leg.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Sadly, Rik was pulling our leg.
    It's not even April 1st yet.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com