Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Blender 2.61 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    Okay...I figured out the Displacement. I made a second texture coordinate node and a image texture node. Using a math node to give RGB to BW, ie. value out of color image...and those were the main points...
    Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    It's a different method, since the unwrapping was necessary...
    Hi James,

I don't think a second node is necessary - only a second link from the image node's output to the RGB/BW. Unless you are using another image out of shadermap. What I found interesting is to add after the RGB/BW a math node to multiply the values e.g. by 5.

Re: unwrapping - one of my weak points...

Another thing I noticed is the lighting - whatever I change seems to have no influence at all. Besides only 2 lamp types are currently supported with cycles - point and sun.

It could be that emitting planes are prefered to lamps ?

Anyway here's my first experiment - the good old sphere with one of your repper-tiles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycles experiment 1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	86082
    Guy -

I love these tools

Default Re: Blender 2.61 is out!

Hello Guy,

That looks really nice! Cool that you liked my Repper tile.

As Cycles originally HAD to use emitting objects, that might just well be the method that works the best still. They went back and added the two light sources that you mentioned. Additionally, using a plane object for a lamp automatically makes for softer shadows and more realistic lights. (since no lights actually purely emit from a point source in real life, the light is more dispersed through one method or another)

Before there was Cycles, Andrew Price had already advised using area lamps.

Looks like you're doing well with the experimenting. Cycles has some quirks, but does a great job for the most part.

Re: The second node

I don't know if it was necessary, but since I had a second map, I used a second texture coordinates channel to have the UV to "explain" the second Image Texture.

Peace

James