Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Blender 2.61 is out!

Frances and James, you're geniuses.

I had a brief look at 2.61 cycles and I am totally frustrated. I understood the materials and textures interface reasonably well (not in all details, but anyway), but now I'm totally lost.

A simple example - I have a sphere and wat to apply a seamless tile - twice in the vertical direction and 4x in the horizontal direction, and I want the mapping to be spherical.
    Fairly simple in the previous version of Blender but I wouldn't know where to start with cycles...

I will put a question on the Blender forum to see if there is any help (documentation, tutorials, ...) for newbies like me that want to start with cycles. I have the Blender for Dummies, but that's 2.5 based so I can stil use it for modeling and probably animating, but when it comes to materials it is outdated.

A frustrated Blender user... I might have to change my signature for the time being
    Guy -

I love these tools

Looks good Frances, I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it and hopefully learn to do it right this time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello Guy

Yes, and you are right.

Without unwrapping the sphere, I can't see a way to tell Blender (for Cycles) that there is a spherical mapping needed.

Still, if you're using the Blender Internal renderer, everything still functions as before.

I still want to do some experiments (as time allows) and see what I find concerning this very topic (necessities for mapping textures for Cycles). I have a feeling that (so far) it will have to be through UV coordinates. ie. unwrapping

Hang in there!

James

Nice job, Frances

I agree with you...Blender and Xara together make a formidable team!

Peace and Merry Christmas

James

A useful link I got thru Blender Artists forum:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...utorial-Series

It links to 7 tutorials on cycles

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do.../Render/Cycles

is the wikipedia manual

and a blender Cookie link :

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/09/...render-engine/

Have fun !
    Last edited by guyke; 18 December 2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Guy,

Doing the mapping was no problem... just use the automatic unwrapping options and do it that way. Then load the image into the UV Editor and position. Remember that you have to also load the image at the materials editor and set Vector to UV Coordinates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapping.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	86071
    Blender 2.61 w/ Cycles

...but I still don't have it figured out yet about applying Normal (likely impossible at this stage) or Displacement (likely) from an image. That's next!

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 18 December 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Hello

Okay...I figured out the Displacement. I'll give more details how I went about it... I don't know if it's the same method given in the tutorials. I made a second texture coordinate node and a image texture node. Using a math node to give RGB to BW, ie. value out of color image...and those were the main points...

It's a different method, since the unwrapping was necessary... but really just a different set of steps. It won't be fundamentally more difficult to do...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MappingDisp.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	86072

Peace

James

Thanks, James, I will try to recreate something like this. I'm not sure I want to continue using the Cycles Render, as I have to do the renderings using cpu - I have a video card which is not powerful enough for the calculations
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Guy,

I can relate. My home system also has a weak graphics card. I've been doing them all using on the CPU. It takes longer, but it's also fun watching the picture come into reality a bit at a time....

Take care

James

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I hear you both! I have been using my laptop for blender as my old desktop is on it's last legs and while the laptop has a dual core processor it has a weak graphics card so I too have been using the CPU I found setting the preview to stop at 10 samples helps and when I render I set the render samples much higher, and when I render it's a great time to go grab a coffee

Hopefully it will be just a couple more days then we will be getting a new PC to replace "the Beast" I'm looking forward to trying cycles on a better computer with a good graphics card.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.