Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Blender - a gyroscope

I read that Apple has a gyroscope inside their iPhones. Must be a lot more difficult than getting a ship inside a bottle

Anyway, I made a gyroscope with Blender, and rendered it both with the internal renderer and with Cycles.
    I couldn't get the same - or even a similar - result. One of the things I still struggle with is UV-mapping. Without cycles it's so easy to get the table right - choose the image you want, specify the number of times you want it to map (say 5x5), done.
    With cycles I couldn't get it right... only a 1x1 mapping.

The main problem again is how to get decent lights. Without cycles, just play around with a few different lamps to get the emphasis on the object, and that's it. With cycles I have to use emitting surfaces or meshes, and I only get half-decent results, at least to my likings: the table looks nice, so does the curtain, but the object remains in the dark.

This is what I got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gyroscope cycles.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	86175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gyroscope.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	86176

The one on the left is with Cycles.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Blender - a gyroscope

both renders look good. I'm hoping to have some time very soon to experiment more with cycles but as for lighting add a couple of planes and give them an emisson material you can set the brightness of each light and make as many as you want.

Here is a BlenderCookie video that shows how to make lights invisible to the camera, so you can position them as close to the object as you need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks, Frances, I already had 4 emitting objects (3 planes and a cylinder) but getting them closer and making them invisible might help indeed. The other thing is that the scene looks brighter in preview than after the actual render.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Looks good guy.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Nice job on the gyroscope...

I had several as a child and there's something about gyroscopes that have a high nerd appeal. (ie. just right for ME)

Peace

James

There's an odd thing in Blender - to get the colours right in cycles, it turns out that you have to tick render => shader => color management with the Blender render active.
    Then, switch to cycles and yes, the colours are much brighter...

Here's the result

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gyroscope cycles.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	86436

I also animated the gyroscope, but a quick calculation told me that it would take (with Cycles) about 21 hours to render so I didn't...
    Guy -

I love these tools