Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transparent GIF Export

Hello friends at TalkGraphics,

I have a group of shapes that I need to place on a larger "canvas" of a specific size. When I export as a GIF, I want the whole "canvas" except for the shapes to be transparent. What is the best way to do this? Thanks

Default Re: Transparent GIF Export

First of all, don't use GIF.

Select all your shapes, and if you are planning on using the shape in X Pro, then Arrange > Create Bitmap Copy. Select True Color + Alpha and select the desired resolution.

If you need to export the shapes for use on a website, then File > Export > PNG, and select 256 colors and and click the wine glass icon at the bottom of the palette to export with a transparent background. If your web page has a dark background then export your shapes over a similar colored background, but do not select the background, and Xara will anti-alias the shapes to the background color.

When I need "white" space (or more properly "blank" space) around an exported drawing, then this is what I do:

1. Create a rectangle to use as the background of the image. Be certain it has the proper dimensions. Consider placing it on a separate, lower-level layer.

2. Draw and compose elements within the bounds of the rectangle created above. Perhaps they should be on one or more higher-level layers.

3. When I'm ready to export, I select the rectangle (with the proper dimensions) and make it transparent.

At this point, the transparent rectangle should still be selected. However, if you click away and deselect it, you will not be able to simply click on it again to select it. To successfully select it, you will need to lasso the entire rectangle using the mouse. So remember where the invisible rectangle is!

4. With all the objects selected, you can begin the Export process by using the keyboard combo Ctrl+Shift+E.

Best practice tip: When saving the file for later use, I select just the transparent rectangle and set an outline color. That way when I open the file later, I have a visual cue where that invisible rectangle is.

http://burlapmonkey.com/portfolio

Thanks for the replies. One problem I'm having is that the height and width values will not stay whole numbers as entered. The image I'm making is for a T-shirt, it has to be 3600 x 3600 pixels. When I enter in 3600, it comes up something like 3600.7 or 3600.4.

why are you using transparent gif for a t-shirt design?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

What print device are you using and are you printing through a RIP program?

beretgascon, that's what the manufacturer wants, a transparent GIF or PNG.

Tabian, the print device is an HP inkjet printer. I'm not using a RIP program.

Quote Originally Posted by Arax View Post
    Thanks for the replies. One problem I'm having is that the height and width values will not stay whole numbers as entered. The image I'm making is for a T-shirt, it has to be 3600 x 3600 pixels. When I enter in 3600, it comes up something like 3600.7 or 3600.4.
    if you use mike's method with the rectangle at 3600 by 3600 you should avoid this - you can switch to wireframe view to find the rectangle and then back to very high quality to export
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To exactly control the pixel dimensions of your object, there are a couple of tactics you can take:

• With the Rectangle Tool selected in the left vertical toolbar, make a new object or select an existing one. You can then type in the exact dimensions in the settings area in the top horizontal toolbar. The top text box is Width, the bottom is height.

• With the Selector Tool selected, toggle the "Lock aspect ratio" button to Off. Then in the text boxes titled W and H, you can manually type in the dimensions you wish.

A couple of caveats:

• You might need to re-type the dimensions every now and then.

• Set Options so that your drawings are measured and reported as pixels. Click the Utilities drop down menu, then click Options. In the dialog box, click the Units tab and set Page units to Pixels. Then click OK.

http://burlapmonkey.com/portfolio/

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you use mike's method with the rectangle at 3600 by 3600 you should avoid this - you can switch to wireframe view to find the rectangle and then back to very high quality to export
    Now why didn't I remember that?? Thanks, steve j!