Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Holiday Greeting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Thank you, Frank: I hope everyone realizes that the Lego card was created with a modeling program
    any fool can open an illustration program or a 3d rendering app, but only somebody with demonstrable talent, perseverance, effort and hard work can output what you have done and continue to do.

lighting, shading, composition and ultimately ability are, fortunately, not things you can get a filter or a plug-in for, but that's a topic for another soap-box
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Frank, And the candies are just amazing too!

A big Merry Christmas to All!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I posted this last year (I think) but I remade it as an animated gif because many people on my list couldn't open a flash file. So with that said here you go again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChristmasCard.gif 
Views:	60 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	86025
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry, that's a truly beautiful animated card. Was this in the Xara Xone's Christmas Show?

I'd like to go back to something Frank mentioned; when I first set hands on my first drawing application in 1991 (CorelDRAW version negative 3), it wasn't "obeying me", because although the skills were fairly easy to acquire, I have developed a few styles of art, and they wouldn't show on a CorelDRAW page.

See, I've been drawing with pen and pencil for 40 years (probably more); my biggest "skill workout" was when I was an Art Director in NYC for one of the large ad agencies. I was knocking off 3 perhaps 4 storyboards a day, and you gotta develop a style doing that stuff!

The short of it is, I feel anyone who comes to digital design programs from a traditional, physical background:

1. Comes to the party with something and will be able to better tell a story using new tools. Phil Tippett did—he won an Oscar for his stop-motion work on Star Wars in the 1970s, and today his studio uses mostly digital animation tools.

2. Will soon realize that it takes some time to punch your own style through the glass on the monitor, so to speak. I think it took me a solid year of working with graphics programs until I was able to express what I see in my head and my heart, and not let a program's features taint the vision.

Yes, there's a little give and take: Xara's features have influenced certain ideas over the years, but mostly I've been telling it what I want, and not the other way around.

Christmas Digression Time: For a brief and glorious 3 years, Pixar's rendering software was available for Windows if you knew where to look. Today, it'll run you $4,000 and more for a plug-in for Maya, and I feel that competitors such as Maxwell Render and 3D Studio have just as splendid a rendering engine, but that ain't the point. This was one the first first completed modeled scenes I'd ever done, and I was able to use Pixar RenderMan along with Photoshop v3—and about a week's time with a 486 DX50 machine—to get it done.

Name:	xmas1995-small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	86028

They say there's no going back, but I think I'll forever have fond memories of all the sweat I put into this little project.

My Best,

Gary

Thank you Gare. No it wasn't in the Christmas show. I submitted the kaleidoscope.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Great cards, Gary and Larry.
    Beautifully done.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Awe shucks, thank you Rik.
    Last edited by wizard509; 16 December 2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: oops I hit a wrong key
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree, Gare and Larry those are splendid greetings!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I'm outa here until 2012.

I know it's been said, many times, many ways...

Name:	MerryChristmas2011Classic.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	86052

Escaping to the Real World for the Holidays ,
    Gary

Not as artistic as many of the others - don't have those skills - but a warmhearted contribution anyway

Name:	vredeskaars.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	86053
    Guy -

I love these tools