Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Christmas Bauble - Islamic Art Generator

For a long time I have been intrigued by Middle-Eastern designs.
    The attached graphic is one I made using a small applet I discovered: taprats-islamic design generator.
    It creates patterns which are exportable as .eps files. I open them in Illustrator and save them as .pdf files which I then use in Xara DP7.
    These vector shapes are just white shapes with black outlines, but can easily be coloured with the help of shapes created using the Quickshape tool.
    To make the Christmas Bauble (not available in any shops) I clipped the pattern and made a bitmap copy which I opened in PaintShop Pro, which
    has a decent Spherize Filter, I brought the .spherized pattern back into DP7 and let Xara weave its magic.
    The attached .xar file has the vector pattern and the bitmap for using as a seamless fill (which does have a slight imperfection where the green stars
    and orange stars meet). The bauble doesn’t have this imperfection, though as the edges of the original clipped pattern weren’t used.
    The applet creates a lot of varying designs according to user input. I find the whole process both absorbing and relaxing.
    I would be interested to some of your own designs posted here.
    Apologies for the size of the .xar file.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	christmas tree decoration.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	85689  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 02 December 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add link
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Christmas Bauble - Islamic Art Generator

Interesting stuff, Bob. I tried to download the application but get blocked due to the fact that it seems to be Unix only...
    Still, eps might put me in trouble as well as I don't have Illustrator or something like it (maybe blender could get away with eps...)
    Guy -

I love these tools

Rather an unlikely mix - Islamic designs for a Christian festival. I think that's a first.

Nice find with the generator.

Lovely image and colours Bob and just as a matter of interest I used the circular mould tool to make a sphere and then trimmed it with an ellipse outline, not to bad a job using the mould tool although not as good as your original.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	85691  

Very effective, technique.