Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Options help- "Resize large imported photos"

Hey all,

What exactly consists of a large photo? Every time I am working on say a 1x1inch template and paste images, they often come in *very* large, to the point where I have to click on Width: 10% (or less sometimes) until it is scaled to a manageable size for my template. I have it set to resize large imported photos down to 125pixels, but apparently it's not doing that. I wish there was an option for "resize imported photos to page size" or something.

Anyways, am I missing something? Do I have to type in the values to resize every image, or is there a way to automatically resize things?

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro

Default Re: Options help- "Resize large imported photos"

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    Hey all,

I have it set to resize large imported photos down to 125pixels, but apparently it's not doing that.

RonC
    does it not?

you haven't assigned a value and then changed to one of the other two options have you - it will only do the selected option of the three
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, of course I have that option selected. I simply think that xara and my idea of a large image being imported are different. Like most images are imported at like 4x or larger than the pagesize in my template. Lol! I guess it's just not intuitive based upon what the pagesize is set to. I wish for an option like that, one that knows that pagesize matters when importing images .

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro

then it should resize Ron

the size of imports has nothing whatsoever to do with the page size in xara - in xara the page is a print/export feature
    Nothing lasts forever...

just to make sure [as I can't recall ever having used this setting ] I used a 9922 by 14032 BMP I had handy [file size 398MB for the record] created with manga studio - and imported it into XPGD7 with the setting at 125

xara reduced it so that the 14032 pixel dimension became 125 pixel [and the notional dpi/ppi on the status bar went skyward ]
    Last edited by handrawn; 01 December 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: grammer
    Nothing lasts forever...

lol yeah... I get it. It's just awkward when working with a specific page size, I realize how vector works but I don't think that xara puts enough emphasis on actually USING the page. Why even have a page in there except for when printing, then? I wish objects would be cut off when they're dragged off of the page, and that export would be this locked down thing to the page size. I really do.

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro

ah well xara is an object based vector editor - you need to look at it from that point of view

the way to look at it really is that every object you create [or import] is a page unto itself and you can move them all around - you can group objects to merge 'pages'

its

edit - hey once again I press 'submit' instead of 'go advanced' - hang on in there this post is not fininshed ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

.. to continue..

so you have lots of 'pages' all available at once and you can move them all around at will

the 'page area' [that white bit] is really just a 'catchment area' for print, and a definable area for export, but not the default for export for reasons which become obvious when you look at it as object[s] first

and that is why a common way to make all this 'behave' is to have everything within the boundaries of a 'master object' which is exported, taking the rest with it as say, a group, a soft group, a clipview.....
    Nothing lasts forever...

now it needs to be said that the above is not necessarily a useful way of looking at things for designing websites - just graphics
    Last edited by handrawn; 01 December 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: I'm in need of some sleep
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, I could get into the whole "it's a vector engine so it doesn't work that way" argument... And it IS an argument because we're dealing with a slightly hybrid engine. Needless to say, I simply wondered if there was an option to "resize all imported images to X size". There is not, I wondered if there was clarification from "import large images", but sounds like its just dealing with very very very high resolution images.
    Ron Cavagnaro