Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Traced objects not filling...

it is two lines once you break it apart

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two_lines.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	86255
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

hum - if you go into wireframe view and zoom in you cann clearly see the two breaks [when zoomed right in at the correct positions]

ok - what I think you have done Coleen is you have used the 'join' function on two lines which then makes them 'one' in the wrong sense - should not use 'join' [ctrl+j] on lines because although it makes them one line object it does not make them one line for the purposes of filling...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Wow - I LOVE you guys! Thank you all! Okay - I did find the second break, but I had already tired converting it to a shape, and didn't go back on the undo far enough to get it back to a line status. That's where the frustration came in. I tried selecting the whole thing, converting it to a shape then imposing it over a square colored background and slicing, intersecting - but all to no avail. The slicing showed me where the second break was...

What I ended up doing was re-tracing the entire thing. Now I have it - perfectly. Mike - you've explained this so I can actually understand what I'm doing wrong - thank you. Honestly - at first I was grumbling because I didn't read your whole post, and I thought "yes we do need a fill selected object" tool, but I finished reading your explanation and really, truly appreciate it. Frances - wow - thanks so much for the quick video - that was great! Steve & David - thanks so much! I think, maybe (knock on wood) I got this now... (whacks self on forehead for how easy this "should" be!) Thank you all!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

you are quite welcome Coleen. Don't whack yourself too hard, hand tracing takes practice to do it quickly and accurately without accidentally dropping the lines. I've done it many times myself, and usually wind up going back to correct the break(s)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Coleen,

Glad I could help. I get this problem ALL the time when I import or cut and paste something from Illustrator, ESPECIALLY text converted to objects.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist