Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Traced objects not filling...

Okay, this is silly. I should be able to do this very simply, so I know I'm missing something extremely simple, but this is the third time I've done this and can't get my object to fill afterward. I'm taking a graphic and "tracing" the outline of it. After I have the shape that I want, I want to be able to fill the object. The type of fill (flat, gradient, transparent, etc.) doesn't matter - I'll be using a variety of fill types, but what is happening is that my "Outlined" object is just that - an outline and the fill doesn't work! It works if I use the Shape tool as a continuous line, but if I have to break and then join the shapes, it won't fill! This is driving me nuts - please, what am I doing wrong?
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: Traced objects not filling...

well it does have to be an enclosed shape to fill of course...

if you are breaking - are you then using 'join shapes' [ctrl+J] or 'add shapes' [ctrl+1] ? - I think you might find add shapes works better, but its a bit hard to say for sure without an example
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, after I create the shape, I use Join Shapes. That didn't work so I tried selecting all the lines, converting to an editable shape, and adding shapes. None of these seem to work. This is driving me nuts! I know I'm doing something wrong but here is an example of a shape that I traced, and can't fill. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (I feel really dumb not being able to do this...<blush>)

I just tried it again - there are two lines. When I select Arrange, Combine Shapes, Add Shapes, it creates a line with fill and the inside of my shape stays transparent. It's like it doesn't recognize that the lines have all been added together to create a shape. Here's another attachment. This includes three tries to join, combine/add or convert to shape, and my original lines. Argh! This REALLY should be simple, so obviously I'm doing something wrong! Thanks for any help. Shapes.xar
    Last edited by Coleen; 01 December 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Adding new attachment
    Coleen

that attachment is not working for me sorry
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sorry - I'm using Xara Design Pro 7.1 - is there a way to save it in a previous version or does it matter? Oh (D'uh!) Sorry, I deleted one of the attachments, please try this one:Shapes.xar
    Coleen

xdp6 Re: Traced objects not filling...

Steve: look at the second one, Shapes.xar

Coleen: The first shape is closest to what you want, it just wasn't completely closed. I've attached the file with the work done.

-- Ben

Shapes.xar
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Thanks Ben! Is that what I missed? I guess there was an infinitesimally small gap somewhere between the lines? I sure couldn't see one...maybe I need to enlarge it more than 1000%...but THANK YOU VERY MUCH! As always, you're the best!
    Coleen

problem sorted then
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yup - Thank you very much! I love this forum - the people here are so wonderful and helpful! Wish I knew a little more to be helpful instead of needing assistance...but I am very grateful for everyon'e help!
    Coleen

Coleen - what you do: select the line with the shape editor - press 'home' or 'end' and you will see where the line starts and ends, so you can zoom in at the right spot. It's neat when people do the work for you (and I've been helped several times), but for me I like to know how they did it...
    Guy -

I love these tools