Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I posted this question under 'October in the Xara Xone' but it was slipping into oblivion, so I am repeating it here.
    Would you be kind enough to explain the steps you went through to create the graphic of Alan Burns watch drawing in your post about Oct. in the XaraXone. (have reproduced it below).
    These are some of the effects I want to use in my work and as I am new to Xara, it would help me greatly. I am particularly interested in combining pictures although this one is only from one pic it looks blended and has an interesting fade-away on the right and the triangle part is darker.

Thanks in advance. ) J
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I posted this question under 'October in the Xara Xone' but it was slipping into oblivion, so I am repeating it here.
    Would you be kind enough to explain the steps you went through to create the graphic of Alan Burns watch drawing in your post about Oct. in the XaraXone. (have reproduced it below).
    These are some of the effects I want to use in my work and as I am new to Xara, it would help me greatly. I am particularly interested in combining pictures although this one is only from one pic it looks blended and has an interesting fade-away on the right and the triangle part is darker.

Thanks in advance. ) J

J

You want to know my trade secrets, eh?

Well it's a case of make the hard ones look easy and the easy ones look hard.

The original image is rectangular. I applied a simple Elliptical Transparency to the image to soften the edges. Then I made about 5 Clone (Ctrl K) duplicates. Finally, I made another duplicate, changed the transparency to none, and cropped the image in a triangle shape.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Sorry if I'm out of line asking you this, and thank you for your reply but what different effects (if any) did you apply to the 5 clones please?

I don't want to know ALL your trade secrets, just this one because achieving these effects are the reason I became interested in Xara X.

I spend many hours a day at my computer working, I get so little time to play with these things.

Thank you again ) J

Hi wyccaad,
    I am sure Gary wont bother if we steal some more trade secrets from him (I have kept stealing his secrets for years, since I read his first tutorial ;-)

You can obtain feathering with:
    1-the feathering tool (of course)
    or

2-cloning the same object on top of itself
    or

3- using the profile menu

I hope the image will help you.

Luciano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transp.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	15947  

Anyway, nice trick Gary. I would use feather, but your also has it's plusses.

Here are the three steps.

Luciano, clever fellow that he is :-) has found a better way to feather the edges using the Elliptical Tranpsarency + Profile settings.

The bottom left frame shows a duplicate of the same image placed top with no transparency and with a line used to slice the the shape on the diaognal. The bottom portion was then deleted.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soft_edge.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	11243  

Thanks a bunch to you both, it's all becoming clearer now. J )