Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Page Numbering

Default Page Numbering

Hello
    I'm using Photo & Graphic Designer to write a book but cannot work out how to number the pages automatically. Someone must know how to do this, help would be appreciated.

Peter

Default Re: Page Numbering

There is currently not an option for this. I submitted a post in Dear Xara for this a couple of months ago, maybe in v8. It would be really nice, because I am currently working on several multi-page DTP projects in Xara.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Thanks Ben, I guess I'll just have to do it manually

You can do it! Here is the work around. In Excel or where ever you want to do it is to make a marcro which will give you numbering up to what ever you want. Then copy that numbering from Excel onto your clipboard and then take it into Xara. Make your page layout and in a separate layer put a text box. The size of the text box is so important as when you paste your numbers into it you just want at the start one number to show for the first 9 times. Once you have the text box adjusted for the single number "Duplicate the Current Page" through the Edit menu for the number of pages that you want. Link the text box from one page to the other in order and then go back and paste the number from Excel into the first text box. You may have to edit text box size from 10 onwards but it does save you time especially on page ten you slightly enlarge the widith of the text box on this one to suit 2 numbers and then duplicate that page onwards.

This method can be used for invoices, ticket numbering and the like in Xara.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Good work around Peter.

You could also place an automatic formatted footer on each page (Arrange > Repeat on All Pages). Then when you are done, select one and Arrange > Stop Updating > On All Pages.

Then go page by page, double click on the footer and change the number.

Not automatic but it should get the job done.