Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How should I start to Graphic Design?

I am intrested in Graphic Design, I decided work in the animated movie industry or the video gaming industry...but i dont think they differ too much...Blender, 3D Studio Max or Maya which one should i start from ?I just wanted to know which of these applications are better to get start with?and any information i can get from u guys would be great..

Default Re: How should I start to Graphic Design?

Do a Google search for graphic arts schools.

Unless you have incredible talent, you will have a very hard time finding work unless you have a good education.

You will be competing with candidates who have a college or art school degree in design. So you have to be well prepared to compete for jobs which are scarce.

I learn from friends. This is because my friends are really good in 3D, Illustrator and Photoshop. Learning from example and experience is best.

Start off Illustrating... you should know how to concept things out before you create them in 3D. Typical software using Photoshop or Painter (or both). Working on a demo reel a lot of guys tend to use Zbrush to model and animate in Maya/Max although there are many aspects of the 3D industry (Concepting, Storyboarding, Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, Rigging/animating, compositing/FX's...) Not every person can be good at all of them, but if you are good at a few of these its a bonus. Once you have targeted what parts of 3D you want to excel at, check the industry standards... they always change. Zbrush was not even thought of as a professional 3D Movie app in the early 2000's... now everyone uses it... as times change, so does the software.
    My Humble Studio is here: SciRPG Studio

You can start with concept art. Practice your drawing skills and learn Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. You can move on to 3D graphics later on.

I think the first step you need to take is enrolling for a graphic arts program. Like someone’s already mentioned, unless you are incredibly talented, you may find it hard to land a job without a college degree. I would suggest you start looking through the details of graphics art degree programs at schools of your choice. You can also consider taking online classes, but must complete your degree before you hit the job market!
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 20 April 2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Removed spam link, read the forum rules before posting.

must complete your degree before you hit the job market!

There is a card which trumps education and that is a very strong portfolio. You can get a job with a strong portfolio and no degree, but you can't get one with a degree and no portfolio.

An education will help you hugely to get the skills, but talented people can get there on their own.

It's a mistake to think that "learning" a particular software package is the key. A lot of people can learn how to use software, but that doesn't make them competent modellers, animators or artists. I'm reasonably handy with a word-processor, but a best-selling novel would elude me.

It's a mistake to think that "learning" a particular software package is the key. A lot of people can learn how to use software, but that doesn't make them competent modellers, animators or artists. I'm reasonably handy with a word-processor, but a best-selling novel would elude me.
    True. But most employers will expect a new hire to be proficient with a computer. So, absolutely a strong and creative portfolio is a must but so also are computer graphics skills.

Oddly, in all the time I spent in advertising and graphic design, no one ever asked to see my art school degree.

I wasn't suggesting a portfolio not including work that was created using software. Your comment about the degree is really what I was getting at.

Many people think that being able to use package XYZ is an automatic ticket to success, but I can prove otherwise - my mastery of the pencil has yet to shower me in riches - something to do with a lack of artistic talent.

Software is constantly in a state of flux, that is to say that it changes year after year with new additions plug-ins and so on. The thing is learn to use an array of programs and keep up to date with them but never never ever neglect the most powerful of all... the humble pencil and paper. You should sketch for at least ½ an hour a day, everything from the phone on your desk to a pile of junk on the floor. It is only when you know your subject from all angles that you can reproduce it in any medium whether as a 2D or a 3D render. It takes time, dedication and talent to get to the levels required by industry. Build up your portfolio, then go out there to find employment and show the world what you can do.