Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Looking for a new workhorse raster software...

Hey all,

been using photoshop for the company i work for as processing all of the images that we use. I did wish to use xara for everything, but found that the high workload and the export settings not being saved per template, along with the fact that it doesn't save bmp files with the proper dpi header, that I can't use it as the workhorse. I've tried gimp and it struggles with simple things such as scaling from center. Xara would be perfection if it weren't for the export limitations. So, what are my alternatives? I want to veer as far away from photoshop as possible, but have a kind of software that can use most image formats, and export images properly. Guides/snapping/layers/layer effects/easy text handling tools would be the best thing. Preferrably looking for something free out there too.

That or if someone can walk me through a way I can export images PROPERLY and consistently in xara (this would be my prime goal in a perfect world)...

thanx

EDIT: wow, I think the latest xara update can export files properly! How come no one told me? Well, okay then, what would be the "best free raster editor to use as a external editor for xara?"
    RonC
    Last edited by rpc9943; 25 November 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: figured out xara export properly...
    Ron Cavagnaro

Default Re: Looking for a new workhorse raster software...

If Xara does what you want, why not use it. It's inexpensive. Can't think off hand of any freebies that would be of help to you.

I assume you don't have a personal copy of PS, and don't want to buy one? Not free, but maybe useful (you'd have to try them yourself as I'm unfamiliar with newer version capabilities): CompuPic, Paint Shop Pro. I believe you can resize in either of them, but it has been long time since I've used them. CompuPic doesn't do a lot of raster operations, but may be worth knowing about.

It's come down to usability. Xara has the best freaking interface, and the company uses an older ps version. Instead of upgrading, I wanted to only use xara would gimp behave well as an external gfx? I just really don't like photo shop. I am considering corel psp. Thanks everyone for the input
    Ron Cavagnaro

Dated looking interface, a few dialogs/functions not named the same as PS, but PhotoLine is my image/bitmap editor of choice. Reasonably low cost, does some vector, is available both with a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows version (both install and the 32-bit is needed for the 32-bit PS plugins one can obtain easily for free), and there is a native Mac version.

Developers are active and it has been around since pre MS PCs.

Take care, Mike

Awesome thanks to everyone. I have decided on getting paint shop pro x4 ultimate as my raster workhorse to work as bitmap editor in xara. It seemed the best transition, and noticing that it has the whole punch-out plugin, just picked it up for only $40 last day black friday sale

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro