Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

This is a take off of Tad's Noooooo discussion

Take a bitmap you are using and pull it from the bitmap gallery to the canvas. Now go to the Bitmap Effects and choose brightness and contrast. push the brightness slider to the right and say okay. This creates a new bitmap in the gallery. Do the same thing again but this time move the slider to the left darkening it.

You now have 3 variations of the same bitmap. The advantage of this is it eliminates the need for creating a dark or light transparency layer both of which muddies the colors and the pattern.

Below the top row of patterns are changed bitmaps. The bottom row shows a white and a black transparency on top of the original
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brightness.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	336  

brilliant, Judy.

I have to admit I havent used xaras bitmap tools since I got photoshop but your tip saves a lot time, and gives excellent results. The simple things are best..

Q

Or actually, I sit corrected.

Good point Judi. Actually the brightness and contrast and color settings are good for doing minor work on a out of balance photo.

Any suggestions for the Robert's Cross or Laplacian filters? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Beets Clever a Tumble

Judi,
    clever. That is a neat trick. Thanks for the tip. N [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The problem with doing this using bitmap copies is the finished file size as well as sharpness of image.

On the attached picture the top image is Xara with a fill and lighten/darken transparency applied to a clone. The bottom is bitmap copies with adjusted brightness.

The top one saves as a Xara file 23k size, the bottom one 1028k.

Christine

Name:	bitmap_test.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	19919  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

No Gary I don't have any use for the Roberts Cross etc. plug-ins have come a long way since they were invented.

You are correct Christine in that the Xara file is larger. However the jpg file is almost the same size, but I didn't as much of a difference in resolution as you did. (both saved at 90%)

The xara file I posted yesterday is 523kb and the jpg is 31kb. I changed the file to use transparencies for the bright & dark and the xar file was 196kb and the jpg was 29 kb.

I don't understand why you would have had such a huge difference in your file sizes. (23 kb vs. 1028 kb) Did you delete all of the bitmaps in the gallery you didn't end up using?

Another thing I like about using altered bitmaps is if you want to edit the shape you don't have to edit a transparent object too. less objects to work with makes it easier.

Like the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Judi

Name:	brightness2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	17947  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Like the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My five cats, card carrying members of FAL Feline Antidefamation League, take issue with this statement.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Bleats Trevor a Mumble