Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Subtraction vector points artifacts

Hi there. I searched for a past question about this for awhile, and i couldn't find anything about this subject. Well, I'm building cartoon characters in Designer Pro 7 and when I create a vector object then subtract a vector line from the object I always get these leftover artifacts that are 4 vector points at the end of the subtraction areas. I'm using an "ellipse" linear line for the subtractions. I'm attaching a screen shot of what is happening. I apologize if this has been ask before. I just got back from a long hiatus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subtraction reminents.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	85484  
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

Default Re: Subtraction vector points artifacts

Hi steps.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean but I just created a square shape and then cut out a similar looking shape out of it.
    I didn't get the result you say.
    My result looks fine and I zoomed right in to see, and I just get one point.

Might be worth attaching a .xar file with an example of what you're trying to do?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutout.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	85485  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Yeah, I've tried different type vector line on a box shape, and I still get the same result. Looks like it could be a setting. I still get the extra vector points added to the end of my line cut out. Any help would be much appreciated. Thx
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

I'm sure an Xpert will come along very soon and tell you exactly what the problem is but the only way I can make any progress is if you posted a .xar file with an example of what you are trying to do.
    Then I can see if I get the same result when I open your file.

You don't have to post the whole drawing, just an example of the problem.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Hi steps, yeah it seems that the "ellipse" line profile have this point structure when you subtract them.
    I've tried changing the caps type but I get the same results as you.

It's funny because if you turn the line to editable shape it doesn't show this.

Marc

the old subtraction and intersection stuff is intended for shapes - this is why it is in the arrange menu under 'combine shapes'

if you try to do a simple subtraction/intersetion of a 'constant' line on a shape you will see [try at around 16pt line width] that what happens is not what you might expect - the result ignores the line width setting and defaults to the base 'smallest possible line width' setting [slice works ok, as the line width being ignored is what you want in this case]

once you have converted line to shape - no problem, as you are subtracting/intersecting shape with shape

if you use a line with a shape profile then the 'shape part' subtracts/intesects but the fact that it is still a line give you the effect you see..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I always use slice (ctrl +4) rather than intersect or subtraction. One thing to note when slicing with a line Xara will continue the slice in the direction of the line even if your line does not extend outside the shape you are sliciing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    It's funny because if you turn the line to editable shape it doesn't show this.
    There's the key, convert to shape before you subtract. With the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S), it's hardly any more work at all, certainly a lot less work than cleaning up the extra nodes.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

you need 'convert line to shape' Ben

ctrl+shift+S is 'convert to editable shapes' - works on quick shapes and text etc but not on unclosed lines - there is no standard key shortcut for 'convert line to shape' but you can set one in pro version

[RE-EDIT - I get what appear to be inconsistant results using ctrl+shift+s ]
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 November 2011 at 07:39 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've been trying over and over and re-reading your post and unfortunately cannot seem to duplicate your problem. I seem to recall that sometimes I have run into that problem, but not consistently, and when I did I don't know what caused it, nor can I really remember anything about it. Just for your information I tried subtracting using CTRL2, slicing, elliptical line, everything but they all worked as expected.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.