Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default pdf exporting text

An editor asked me to create some illustrations in only two colours. In Xara all seems ok, but when I exported the images in pdf (the editor asked me this format)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fontblackpdf2b.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	85321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textBlack.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	85322, both graphics filled with cyan and black (that's was the needs of the editor), and text, they show spurious colours. Can I quickly solve the issue, without redoing everything? I attach some screenshot (textblack in Xara and fontblackpdf2b in a dtp editor).
    lupen

Default Re: pdf exporting text

Having the Xara file would be good...

I typically use PDFX-1a and a trial PDF I just made worked fine. If all else fails, try using PDF version 1.7 (Acrobat Reader 8) or lower. Use Native for the color model.

Oh, sometimes Xara needs the 100% K slider (for your text) slide down and brought back to 100% for it to be truly 100% K.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: pdf 2.pdf (59.7 KB, 145 views)

thanks mwenz. I use the pdf version 1.8 (even 1.7) to make text in a separate layer, so the editor can resize or change font whitout affecting shapes. And it's the only that can export choosing "native", that is grayed out in the pdf/x (at least in my xara 5.1). The very annoying issue is that the line contour in Xara seems ok (K=100), but in the dtp editor is a cymk line colour, so I have to change it manually, shape by shape. Is there a method to solve this issue? See attachmentsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	locallinecolourxara.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	85358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linecolourpdf.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	85359

CMYK is the only valid option when exporting as any of the PDFX type of PDF.

Ok. Perhaps a work-flow question or two.

Are you designing the images in Xara, exporting as PDF and importing the resultant PDF into PagePlus for layout purposes, or importing the PDF into PP in order to check color values?

Here's my sample again.
    1. I altered the sample I did to have a line
    2. I exported the drawing sample as PDF, 1.7, CMYK color model
    3. Imported PDF to PPX5

Screen shot shows the result.

PPX5 document also attached. I needed to change the extension of the PP document to ZIP instead of PPP...

The PDF is also attached. Try importing it into PP and see if the values remain.

Please attach a PDF sample. Else we can go around and around.

Consider attaching an Xara file. While I do not have Xtreme 5, others here do and can perhaps check you file. This was done using XDP7, but XDP6 behaves the same.

One last thing. When you have the color editor on-screen, try sliding the cmyK slider down and back to 100% K for your black components, including the line color.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xdp_ppx5.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	85360  
    Last edited by mwenz; 17 November 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Thanls again Mike for your help. I attach the .xar file and the resulting pdf. Yes, as you guess, I'm using PPX5 just to check colours.

Try this XAR file. If it opens in Xtreme 5...

Mike

Yes, even if gaving me an error message I can open it. And I thing I understood what you did, and opening with PPX5 it's all ok. This the pros. The cons is I have to correct all the lines colours. But after all it's great, thanks a lot (it should be fantastic beeing able to choose the channels to export in pdf, but obviously xara is not a dtp software...)
    Many thanks again
    Luca