Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help for a newb

Hybrid View

hey, im trying to recreate my bike frame in 3d, its the first thing ive tried to make without following a tutorial , i have no idea how to go about making the welds where the tubes meet (i mean mean making the illusion of the metal welds from real life, not welding vertices) please help somebody? thanks...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

yup, this is Rhino.

Your approach for C4D is great, but it lacks the curvature of the welding part. In Rhino you can modify the ellipse until you achieve the 'bulge' you need ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

or you could always start out with a cube and pop things out... the thing with box modeling this way is that you will have loops for selection purposes etc, as well upon several smoothes/divides you will have enough mesh to play around with going for modeled bead here... I have not gone that far here but you can see how it started...and the loops around the weld area... from there you would simply tweak your bead/puddle shapes and or even select this weld region, assign different color then do a map for the weld...

just another box model moment...

nice bike btw... what method?

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 26, 2003 at 21:08.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikeparts.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	5632  

geez, just had an idea (as if my brain would be fallen asleep the rest of my life ;-} )

construct two pipes in C4D. One vertical - let's say 10 units diameter, and a horizontal poking into it with a diameter of 8 units.

Now make a boolean horizontal minus vertical - the vertical will remain in the object hierachie, but deactivated.

Now select the horizontal, enable polygon mode, select the poly edges at the cutting end and detach/duplicate them. Create a small ellipse, rotate it let's say 20 degrees to - 20, and sweep it along your detached spline.

Does it work? I didn't test it, because I just returned home from an offroad trip with my 2.8 ton truck ;-}

Thumbs up,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

hey, im trying to recreate my bike frame in 3d, its the first thing ive tried to make without following a tutorial , i have no idea how to go about making the welds where the tubes meet (i mean mean making the illusion of the metal welds from real life, not welding vertices) please help somebody? thanks...

thanks that looks good, i just have to find out if i have that feature... im using 3ds max 3.1. thanks for your help

I really don't know why you chose the name 'stinkyfinger' in a slang version <sigh>, but that's your problem. I just wonder about the society in highly developed and so called civilized countries going down the gutter.

Usually a bike frame features thicker tubes at the joints, so the beams will be inserted into the joints and then welded. However, with today's laser technology many manufacturers - at least in Europe - don't use this type of 'connection muff' anymore. The beams will be lasered to the joints as the following pic shows: blending surfaces (if your application offers this feature).

Is this what you have in mind?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--

Name:	joint01.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	17783  
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Another way is I take the tube and cut straight through the sucker and then once more for the join,then you scale out the polys or points in the new section

Is that Rhino jens?

Stu.

Hmmm ok one cut then and agressive use of a hyper nurb

Rhino does do a nice easy job of that frame join though I have to admit

Stu.

we are getting there

this was boxed out from the cube, but I blew the math, cutting for the back arms while not cutting and connecting all the way around.... and thus didn't get the loops needed where the bars join the front, though the ones near the seat pipe are ok and have been scaled to reflect a slight weld... also went past twenty moves after the third smooth and thus only have a higher density mesh, to fine to bother trying any further tweaks... ugggg... if'n it isn't one thing it's the other...lol... oh well...

box modeling is very cool for what is possible with relative ease... though I suppose that it really does fit with concept and organic modeling more than anything else

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 27, 2003 at 00:57.]

Name:	boxedbkfrm.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	2756