Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help for a newb

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

geez, just had an idea (as if my brain would be fallen asleep the rest of my life ;-} )

construct two pipes in C4D. One vertical - let's say 10 units diameter, and a horizontal poking into it with a diameter of 8 units.

Now make a boolean horizontal minus vertical - the vertical will remain in the object hierachie, but deactivated.

Now select the horizontal, enable polygon mode, select the poly edges at the cutting end and detach/duplicate them. Create a small ellipse, rotate it let's say 20 degrees to - 20, and sweep it along your detached spline.

Does it work? I didn't test it, because I just returned home from an offroad trip with my 2.8 ton truck ;-}

Thumbs up,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I've been totally wrong. Just tried it and after a few minutes surrendered -}

This is the way for C4D:

create tubes as above, add a circle direction yz, diameter 8 units, project circle to yz plane and you will have a circle that follows the curvature of the vertical pipe or tube

create a small circle with 1 unit diameter, sweep it along the projected circle.

see pic below and check your mail - I've sent the c4d file to you.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weld02.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	3684  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

or you could always start out with a cube and pop things out... the thing with box modeling this way is that you will have loops for selection purposes etc, as well upon several smoothes/divides you will have enough mesh to play around with going for modeled bead here... I have not gone that far here but you can see how it started...and the loops around the weld area... from there you would simply tweak your bead/puddle shapes and or even select this weld region, assign different color then do a map for the weld...

just another box model moment...

nice bike btw... what method?

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 26, 2003 at 21:08.]

Name:	bikeparts.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	5632  

we are getting there

this was boxed out from the cube, but I blew the math, cutting for the back arms while not cutting and connecting all the way around.... and thus didn't get the loops needed where the bars join the front, though the ones near the seat pipe are ok and have been scaled to reflect a slight weld... also went past twenty moves after the third smooth and thus only have a higher density mesh, to fine to bother trying any further tweaks... ugggg... if'n it isn't one thing it's the other...lol... oh well...

box modeling is very cool for what is possible with relative ease... though I suppose that it really does fit with concept and organic modeling more than anything else

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 27, 2003 at 00:57.]

Name:	boxedbkfrm.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	2756  

great stuff, however your model will be better suited for polycarbonate than steel ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

haha, thanx Jens... uh yea, I tell you, had I not blown the math then the pipes where they come into the front piece, would have/should have looked like they do where connected to the seat stem area... welded like rather than outa shape from smoothes... but yea, I see totaly with what you mean Jens... even up by the seat area it is deformed and I was too lazy to reshape and resize those areas ...

I think that in more capable box modeling hands than myself, this bike could be box modeled within an hour tops... c/w welds the way they could be... but alas... twenty undo's just wasn't enough for me

There's a reminder folks... take the time and save your worx along the way in the various stages between divides... Durn

I like SF's original frame here, looks very real... still wondering how it was built... primitives, deformers and assembly to group?

Come on SF... how did ya do it? What was your method? Curious minds wish to know

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 27, 2003 at 10:02.]

haha, I figured out why the part by the seat turned out and the front of the pipes srpead as they did... I extruded from the seat area one segment then bridged to the front... should have extruded one segment on the front as well then when bridged al;l turns out ok... follow that all ? good, as this little move makes quite a bit of difference when joining things together in this fashion...

thanks for the comment , all i did was measure everything on my bike and then put in the same measurments with tubes and cylinder primitives, exept for the chain and seat stays. those are cv curves lofted with a circle. then i converted everthing to editable mesh, then i think i made copies of almost everything and did the boolean intersect option, cause everytime i did it with the original peices they disapeared :/