Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Blender - Avoiding Unwanted Walls or "Infinite" Ground Planes

Hello

Often, we are modeling objects which we want to place in a scene, but it's not a full-blown environment that the objects "live" in.

If we set our objects on a simple plane, then 1) the edges of the plane are visible in the render, looking amateurish and 2) we often have an abrupt "intrusion" of the sky around this plane.

One way around this, of course, is to just make the ground plane infinite and to look down upon our objects. This works, but if we change viewpoints, closer to the surface, suddenly we are back with the condition mentioned above. If we are looking relatively straight on to the objects, then the plane really must extend pretty far in order to avoid a visible horizon.

A clever way around this is to create the ground plane a bit larger than the objects and then to take that plane and add some edge loops behind the objects and make them slightly curve upward. (We want SubSurf Modifier on level 2 or so and we need Smoothing turned ON) By doing this, no sky is visible and no hard divisions where we suddenly meet an unneeded wall behind our objects.

Doing it this way, we still can have our ground plane and can have nice soft shadows; and the scene behind the objects doesn't distract our attention from the main elements in the scene.

In the image below, I placed a couple of objects and one not-so-large ground plane. By doing as mentioned above, we have our shadows, there is no sky (showing) and there is no unnecessary wall-floor intersection line to steal our attention from the "real scene." Additionally, we can get very, very close to the surface and it still works. (If the top edge of the ground plane starts to show when you do this, then you only have to go to Edit mode and select the top edges and raise them up a bit. If your lights are low and are casting shadows onto the curved part of the plane, creating an unnatural look, merely make the upward curve start further behind the objects...problem solved.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SurfaceExample1.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	85116

Here is the wireframe of the scene for better illustration...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SurfaceExample_WF.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	85117

I am including the (packed) Blendfile so that, in Blender, you can see exactly what I have done to set this up.

Hope this helps!

Take care

James

P.S. Bonus: Unless specifically noted... all objects and images (in any of my Blender example postings) are free to be used in your scenes (with or without modifications) with no restrictions whatsoever. Have fun!
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 08 November 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Default Re: Blender - Avoiding Unwanted Walls or "Infinite" Ground Planes

Thanks James, it's a brilliant idea. I noticed in the other scene (the empty controlling the displacement) that you used it and I'm proud to say, I managed to figure it out myself, edge loops and all.

I think it's definitely worthwhile to set it aside (as for the different materials) so that I can use it over and over again...
    Guy -

I love these tools

You're welcome Guy.

You've really taken some of these ideas and implemented them well, so it is also inspiring in reverse. I'm happy to share anything cool I figure out or find.

Good job on having the initiative to dissect the other blend and figure out what makes it tick.

Blender seems infinite and considering the aggressive development on it currently, it practically is. It's just that it is particular in how various "functions" are activated and controlled, so it does become a treasure hunt in ways. If you look at some of the things presented on BlenderNation, it appears virtually anything is possible.

Glad you're having fun with Blender!

I think I want to try another challenge. I already have an idea. Think there would be interest?

Peace

James

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    I think I want to try another challenge. I already have an idea. Think there would be interest?
    Absolutely !
    Guy -

I love these tools

Cyclorama's, I have a couple that I use from time to time, I have several texture maps with different scenery as well. They are very handy to have in your model collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclorama.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	85125  

These scenery-maps look very nice Mike. Inspirational.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Mike,

Those are very cool!

Can you tell me why the spaces/gaps in the ones on the right? There must surely be a functional reason and I am curious.

Peace

James

Can you tell me why the spaces/gaps in the ones on the right?
    Separate objects allow separate materials/texture/displacement, etc... maps to be used.

Thanks, Mike, but I understand that.

I wanted to know why the gaps, the space in between. Is that to demonstrate or is it used that way?

Peace

James

Its used that way, the camera is positioned at the front and moved inside so the model fills the scene, the gap is not visible in the render.