Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How can I get rid of duplicate text &/or shapes ? (resulted from multiple paste-ings)

Hi

I have a HUGE Xara file that is becoming very slow. And it turns out that the reason for this is that at some point, many edits ago, I accidentally must have pasted the same thing multiple times!

i.e. I currently have: text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape-text-shape etc all on the same layer.

The problem is that there are a large number (about 100) of items.

Can anyone think of a good way or removing the (hidden) duplications of texts and shapes ?

cheers

J

J

Default Re: How can I get rid of duplicate text &/or shapes ? (resulted from multiple paste-i

Which version are your using? If it is version Xtreme 5 or newer you can open the Object Gallery (Page and Layer Gallery in Designer) and all the text and shape combinations will be accessable individually.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: How can I get rid of duplicate text &/or shapes ? (resulted from multiple paste-i

Maybe you need to disable copy and paste?

What I do in cases like this is select all of the visible objects, (one at a time unfortunately) and then cut them to the clipboard. If I see something I missed, then I press Ctrl z and Shift select the missed objects and then cut them to the clipboard.

Select all (Ctrl a) and Delete.

Then Paste in Place (Shift Ctrl v).

If somehow you missed something, press Ctrl z a few times and select what you missed.

Save your file. Shut down and restart the program.

ok I'll admit to being half asleep at the moment - but I'm having difficulty following what you are saying there Gary- it sort of implies to me that you are pasting back in place multiple objects, but maybe I am reading it wrong..

what I have done is open a new document and cut and pasted everything I want in turn to the new doc, deleting everything I didn't as I went along [and having made a backup copy of the file first of course], I guess you are suggesting something along the same lines ?

it may be quicker to do it Bill's way, it depends
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Still sounds painful.
    For one thing you need to rebuild all the layers ... :^/

accidents sometimes are [painful ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...