Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cropping Images

Where in the world is the Cropping Tool XARA?

I can't even find a Cropping Tool in the Help Menu? What goes here?

Do you call Cropping something else in England?

Help! This program is useless if I can't crop.

Where in the world is the Cropping Tool XARA?

I can't even find a Cropping Tool in the Help Menu? What goes here?

Do you call Cropping something else in England?

Help! This program is useless if I can't crop.

Hello Allen,

To crop an image

1. overlay the part of the image you want to crop with a shape

2. select both the shape and the image

3. go to the arrange menu and select combine shapes and then slice shapes

That should do it...Joel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slice.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	18535  

Welcome to the Xara Conference Allen :-)

Cropping Tools are usually found in bitmap editing applications such as Photoshop, PSP and Photo-Paint, not in vector applications.

Joel's example is but one of many ways to crop an image.

Bitmaps can also be cropped by converting the bitmap to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes) and then using the Shape Editor Tool to move the corner points. If you place a rectangle over the image to the desired size, and enable Snap to Objects (press the red magnet icon on the Infobar) you can drag the corner points of the bitmap and snap them to the corners of the rectangle.

Using this method you can also radically change the outline of a cropped bitmap. See the second tip on The Tip of the Week page

The advantage of this method of cropping vs. combine shapes > intersect shapes is the image is masked and not cropped. If you extend the sides of the cropped image, the image is still there.

Another method of cropping an image is to place the desired cropping shape behind the object. Select both the cropper and the croppee and select Apply ClipView from the Arrange menu. This creates a mask that can be edited in terms of the mask shape as well as the contents of the mask. Refer to the Help menu for Apply Clip View.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The advantage of this method of cropping vs. combine shapes > intersect shapes is the image is masked and not cropped. If you extend the sides of the cropped image, the image is still there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a bit confused by what you mean, if I slice a bitmap or intersect then move the nodes out the image is still there too. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

This is something I used to do quite a bit, slice a bit off a bitmap then move nodes around etc. Until someone mentioned a while ago (I think it might have been you actually - thanks BTW to whoever it was) that by converting to shapes you can do the same thing.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The advantage of this method of cropping vs. combine shapes > intersect shapes is the image is masked and not cropped. If you extend the sides of the cropped image, the image is still there.

Also means file size is still the same, so I guess it would depend on how much of the bitmap you needed. Or am I mistaken again? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

Su, you are correct. I am wrong. I always considered Combining Shapes a permanany cropping of an image, but I discover to my chagrin (and considerable embarrassment too) that the image is still there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

In the words of Rosanna Rosanna Dana, "Never mind!"

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

... no need to be embarassed Gary.

One of the things I've found with Xara is that no matter how long you've been using it there always seems to be new things you are finding out. Or new ways of doing things.

I've learned lots of stuff since coming back to these forums, and been inspired to try new tools that maybe I wouldn't have had a play with normally and of course met some great people! Like for example it is pretty much due to your tutorials etc that I now experiment more with the different kind of transparencies such as stained glass etc ... many thanks.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

If you don't want to have image there ... do this with cropped image:

1. CTRL+SHIFT+C (create a bitmap copy)
    2. Choose True-Color depth (no alpha channel)
    3. Hold SHIFT-key while pressing CREATE button
    4. Erase the old image under the new copy

actually I see only one good reason for doing this. The smaller size of the the final .XAR file.

roman