Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Can't "Open With" Designer Pro 7

Hi AlterEgo.

You should be able to do this.

In your last post #13
    If you click on the 'Browse' button, when the next 'Open with' window opens,
    navigate to the C Drive and then open the 'Program Files' folder. (see pic)
    Go down and find the 'Xara' folder, then go to the 'Xara_Designer_Pro_7' folder and click on it.
    Now, in the right window, find the file named 'DesignerPro.exe (see pic)
    Click on this file to select it and click on the 'Open' button. Then click the 'OK' button.

This should fix your problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c drive.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	85139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open with.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	85140  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Hi AlterEgo.

You should be able to do this.

In your last post #13
    If you click on the 'Browse' button, when the next 'Open with' window opens,
    navigate to the C Drive and then open the 'Program Files' folder. (see pic)
    Go down and find the 'Xara' folder, then go to the 'Xara_Designer_Pro_7' folder and click on it.
    Now, in the right window, find the file named 'DesignerPro.exe (see pic)
    Click on this file to select it and click on the 'Open' button. Then click the 'OK' button.

This should fix your problem.
    I really appreciate all the effort that has been expended to help me solve this issue. However, what you have just described I have done over and over, always in the vain hope that, somehow, DP7 would then make itself visible; it does not. I know it should, and it defies logic, but it still does not appear in the list of available programs for me to choose. Even after having carried out the steps above on all these occasions, DP7 does not make itself available. After doing what is described, then rebooting, I checked to see if it was because a different application is the default for JPEGs (although I realise that DP7 should still be a vailable to Open With); Windows Photo Viewer is the default, so I clicked Change. That takes me back to the Open With, and... no DP7. If I do click on the DesignerPro.exe file, I get Windows Photo Viewer opening with the JPEG I am trying to open in DP7. Anyway, thank you all very much. Maybe I'll just have to open DP7 and Import. Takes longer, but it seems I'm destined to fail on this one, and it might take a total reinstall of the system to cure.

I had a similar problem when I also had 6 installed, and try as I might I couldn't get 7.1 to show or if it did it would still open with 6, since I bought a new computer I have only installed ver 7 and now I get 7.1 to show up in the open with window, and it works.
    The method Rik shows definitely works. When you go to the Xara folder and select Designer 7 there is more than one icon. One is a setup icon, it's the other one (.exe) that you want.
    EDIT: I don't understand why your jpg opens windows photo viewer. I have Irfanview as my default viewer and that causes no problems. Oh yeah, when you do get it to show it will be 7.1 at least mine is. My icon name is DesignerPro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c photo.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	85190
    Last edited by wizard509; 11 November 2011 at 03:17 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sorted!!! Second re-installation of DP7, after having Searched for and deleted any stray DP7 folders/files on HDD, and I am now happy. Many thanks for all the help offered.