ASP, ASP.NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0
    Coldfusion (Optional)
    PHP 5.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.51
    GD Library 2.0.33
    SSI, CGI-BIN, PHP, Perl, Python
    MS SQL 2005 Enterprise
    MS ACCESS / ODBC Support
    DSN Connection String
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Re: workaround for password protection

I must have missed this was all about Windows hosting...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301464

Take care, Mike

Ah, sorry yes, I put no php in first post, but not that I was on Windows. My apologies.

Thanks Mike for the link you sent, I think that looks achievable but it's looking like it will be a few days now before I can get stuck in and spend some time on it.

The tutorial is step by step though, I like that

So my proteted page (which may have to later be a protected folder) will have to be exported from WD6 as a .asp file instead of .web?

I have a folder on my server named aspnet_client so would I be uploading the file in there or just leave it in a folder at the same level and export as .asp instead of .web anyone know if WD will do that? ...or maybe I've just misunderstood the tutorial - that's quite possible too...

Im now back around to trying to implement this. The tutorial at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301464 is really straighforward, but Im a bit confused about the .asp file extension if anyone could shed some light for me. Im using WD6.

What I want to do is be able to have a client login section (this is done via jotform and conditional formatting to direct to a specific page depending on the client)- they enter a specific code given to them which then redirects to a page for them to preview their site build in progress. It's between entering the specific code on my site and arriving at their preview that I need to insert the password proection and login screen.

The tutorial states that any .asp page can be password proected by entering the given code into the <head> section and so Im guessing that I could just insert it on their index page while the build is still in progress - but (and Im sorry if my question is really simple) won't my files be .html and not .asp? Im at the start of a long learning curve!

Hi Megg,

Does you web host provide support for Microsoft's Active Server Pages (asp)? If they do not the Visual Basic Script (vbs) in the asp code will not function.

If your web host does support asp then you can place the code into the head of your page by using a placeholder that has been given the name <head>.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Your pages that contain ASP code must have the .asp file extension, or the server won't execute the code. Those that don't can stay as .htm*

If your index.htm doesn't contain any asp code then you can leave it as it is.

If your index.htm contains the client login form you will need to call it index.asp, but that is incompatible with Xara's file naming convention (the first file of any xara site has to be called something.htm*). Therefore you will need to create a new, completely empty, page at the top of your list of pages, even above/before index.asp. You can call this page anything you like as long as it has a .htm* extension, but I prefer to call it something short like asp.htm so that your site assets are then contained in a "asp_html_files" folder. Once created, you can forget about that page. As long as it remains there, Xara is happy, and your site's home page will be index.asp and your site will work when you upload it on the server .

That's all you need to do to make asp work on an IIS server. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, it's 05h55 and I've just watched Conan the barbarian 2011, and it was rubbish
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank you are correct about asp and IIS.

I hope you recover from watching the 2011 remake of Conan the Barbarian.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The special effects were better than the original Schwartzenegger film, but the plot was thinner than my rolling paper and the acting was a bit like my bedroom floor, wooden
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

My Windows hosting has the following (IIS7):
    Perl v5.8
    ASP v3
    ASP.NET
    v2, 3 and 3.5
    Custom error pages
    CGI
    Server Side Includes
    Microsoft XML
    ODBC.NET
    ADO.NET

so I think I have everything I need to make it work
    Thanks Soquili, thanks beretgascon your advice is *very* much appreciated Im lookin forward to this latest challenge - but a day at work ahead of me 1st!

That is good Megg, the code should work well. If it does not please let us know.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update