Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Please help :)

Hybrid View

Default Please help :)

Hi again

I am a new user testing Xara P&GD7, so far absolutely loving it and working through some tutorials.

However, I have a couple of queries I wonder if anyone can help with?

1. I worked through a tutorial to put some of my own images in a folder to use as fills and clipart, going through the index process etc worked fine. I couldn't see any way to save them so I hoped it would be an automatic save for such things. Unfortunately they have now disappeared. Is there a way to save my own folders so that I can use them in any document?
    2. I normally work in 8" x 8" square pages, but each time I need to go back to Options and select Units: Inches and page size: Custom and type in the size. Is there a way to save Options?

Thank you so much.

Freespirit xx

Default Re: Please help :)

Hi Freespirit.

1. I'm sure someone with more experience on this will soon come and let you know.

2. You seem to be using the same logic as me. I too would have expected to go to Options and set my requirements and then for that be the 'norm'.
    But...
    This is not how it's done in Xara. I had a big discussion about this some time back but I was in the minority with my opinions.

So, what you do is to set your page size and units etc. requirements and then go to the 'File' menu and then click on 'Save Template...'
    Give the file a name and ensure that you put a tick in the box that says 'Use as default template'.
    Click on the 'Save' button.

Now, whenever you start Xara, this is what the new page will be.

So, like me, you will have to leave your logic behind and accept what the Xperts say is right!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Hi Rik

Thank you so much, you are most kind! I was working my way through the help menu and trying to find out where I had gone wrong.

I'm certain I shall be in with more schoolgirl errors before my test run is over!

Thanks again - FS x

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello Freespirit, Welcome to Talkgraphics

I'm using Designer Pro but I would assume that P&GD should be the same. To add your own folders to the designs or clipart gallery open the gallery and at the top click disk designs, browse to the folder you wish to add and click the add button. You will be asked if want to create an index click yes. and that's it your folder should appear in the gallery. If you add files to the folder use the same process to update the folder, but click update instead of add. Once your folder is installed in the gallery you will be able to drag and drop files from it into your current document or double click any file to open and edit it.

We look forward to any more questions you may have and hope you will continue using the software and Talkgraphics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Angelize, I get it now. I made a fill folder and managed to keep it! Result. Absolutely loving the program and I've been promised that Santa will be dropping one off at my house this year!

Meanwhile I have been following the excellent tutorials in the Outsider and have just finished a cutout of a leopard reclining on a rock which I have placed on another photo of a field, using a couple of stock photos and which was an absolute doddle to create and so fast! I'm really impressed with that as I often want to do cutouts for scrapping and for making embellishments for my digital designs and this is the fastest, easiest method I've tried.

Happy days.

FS xx
    Last edited by TheFreespirit; 03 November 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Oh yea! another scrapper! I've done some digital scrapping, or digiscrapping as I like to call it with Xara. I use Designer Pro but P&GD is a great choice too. I wish there were more scrappers here. I've recently started a monthly offering called "Freebie Friday" on the first Friday of each month and I'll be offering some scrapbooking stuff from time to time. I also once at another site did some scrapbooking tutorials for Xara maybe I'll post some of them here. Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.