Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default List Of New Feature Requests

Dear software development team:

I have moved over from NetObjects.com to Xara as it builds far prettier websites and I can stop using CorelDraw for other work. I appreciate that NetObjects is a website specific software and is better suited to bigger websites. However, I have listed a few suggestions from experience with NetObjects, which hopefully can be applied into Xara.

1 - Option for pages to be added to different categories eg herbal products (main page)/carcara (sub page in category).

2 - A warning and option not to proceed with a paste function if a locked layer is selected, or simply refuse to paste the data.
    At the moment it warns you but still pastes into the layer.
    Would be very helpful if a message box popped up stating the layer the object was going to be pasted into and if we would like to proceed.

3 - Ability to search for a PAGE by name. Most handy if you have a lot of pages in a website.

4 - Ability to name an image eg slimming-pills.gif and have Xara upload the image and keep the same name. I have found this helps with search engine rankings.

5 - Function to add <H1>, <H2> etc tags via the names option, or a new program option (to help with search engine rankings etc)

NB:
    6 - a Styles feature to be able to change all headings, sub headings, text size & font etc on all pages if the style file is altered (like a .css file). NetObjects.com deploy a good and very handy styles feature

7 - an option to change virtually an text in the pages and source code during publishing via an external .txt file eg this is inrocect (found on the page) changes to this is incorrect (when published) i.e this is inrocect= this is incorrect

8 - Ability to curve a rectangle corners individually and not all 4 corners as is only possible now (this is optional in CorelDraw).

Thanks

Default Re: List Of New Feature Requests

As a former and current NOF 11 user, welcome to the bright side.

Good suggestions, all.

Thanks. I have been with NOF since time began but the new features were no use to me, the graphics section was not improved and the latest versions were very buggy.
    Xara has some issues too such as becoming very slow after adding 50+ pages with images but overall beautiful.

I have expanded on the program requests, hopefully the Xara team will read and action:

Very handy NetObjects add-on components can be found at: http://club.coolmaps.com/component_list_alpha2.cfm

To implement them into a page is very fast and easy (I hate wasting time coding as I am no expert). I have listed the add-ons I have found most beneficial.
    Hopefully the Xara programmers will be able to add them into the next version or if someone with the programming capabilities can write them, I am sure most people would be willing to pay for them, I know I would.

** Cooltips (most important as making pop-ups in Xara is very time consumig with many layers required for multi pop-ups)
    Borderpatrol
    Confirmer
    Linkmaster (or ability to add a text link to new pages automatically on the bottom of each page - good for search engines to find pages)
    Metatagger
    PopRocket
    * Quickdrop
    * Sitemap (for an htm page)

best to split sites across xar files with a large number of pages - helps avoid memory issues - there are posts here that cover this
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 November 2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, I have read them and am doing so on larger sites.
    Thanks

ok
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

ADDITIONS TO NEW FEATURE REQUESTS:

14/11/2011:

- Ability to see the file path we are working on the top of the open screen after Xare designer Pro 7 eg - Xare designer Pro 7 / [Path & File Name Here] as it helps when publishing a proof etc
    - Ability to drag text, objets etc between layers (like in CorelDraw), instead of Cut from a layer and Paste into another layer

- Colour transparency tool with tolerance factor such as in Corel PhotoPainter.

- Ability to save Exports / custom pdf & other formats as names eg pdf-high quality, pdf-med quality for labele etc.
    At the moment, we can customise the output file but not save it as a set output which can be recalled & re-used depending upon the job, printer used etc

Do the programmers take note of these requests or am I wasting my time?

They do visit, though there is a long list of suggestions I should imagine :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by drslim2 View Post
    6 - a Styles feature to be able to change all headings, sub headings, text size & font etc on all pages if the style file is altered (like a .css file). NetObjects.com deploy a good and very handy styles feature
    Which headings do you mean? Xara has no such headings/sub headings and style settings like NOF has. Please leave that flexibility.

If you need it really bad, I would suggest design your layout on a page on which you use iFrames.

7 - an option to change virtually an text in the pages and source code during publishing via an external .txt file eg this is inrocect (found on the page) changes to this is incorrect (when published) i.e this is inrocect= this is incorrect
    Than correct this in the Webdesigner source document.. you want to loose overview of what text is on which page? Then implement this.

8 - Ability to curve a rectangle corners individually and not all 4 corners as is only possible now (this is optional in CorelDraw).
    Then don't draw rectangles but use the freehand drawing with beziers. This gives you exactly that option. (And a few more). This smells like a suggestion from someone who should familiarize a bit more with Xara first.

comment removed.
    Last edited by teonieuwlande; 27 November 2011 at 09:35 PM.