Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Streamline export dialog box.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I fully understand that Xara is a vector, not a bitmap, editor, but you can still set the page dimensions in pixels (a "pixel" in this case, presumably being an arbitrary unit based on the dpi of the page). Animation docs default to having pixel-based page dimensions.

If i have a page that is set to 1000px x 1000px (you can do this in the page size tab, of page options - just change the units to "px"), and i hit export png, it defaults to export "drawing", but if that drawing is say, only 75% of the page, it will attempt to export as 750px x750px, which is what i'd expect.

If i then click on "page", i would then fully expect it to export the full 1000x1000px image, but the boxes where you enter the export res don't update.

I can even confirm that this is simply a bug - i just realised that if i switch to "page" , change to another export tab, then change back, the export resolution boxes do, in fact, update to the expected 1000px x 1000px. (this is actually easier than typing the export res by hand, but still an unnecessary step)

W/H don't update when selecting 'Page' it's true. But the full page area does in fact export.
    So yes, I'd agree this is an export dialog bug, but doesn't appear to affect the actual result.

ok I'm with you

you know, that has been there a while and I had forgortten all about it - as steve [sledger] said it's [apparently] a bug, its not refreshing/rebuilding realtime - you can force it to refresh by clicking on the 'palette options' tab and then clicking back onto the 'bitmap size' tab when you should see it at the correct value - as you pointed out

here's a corollary: - if you go to the 'bitmap size' tab and then change the bitmap dpi, then click on the 'palette options' tab whilst looking at the status bar at the bottom, you should also see the progress bar as the PNG is rebuilt at the new size - back in the day on earlier version[s] I had a few instances of the export not being at the correct bitmap size, and so I have got into the habit of toggling the tabs every time I make a change which has become so routine I had forgotten that I do it until I just checked it out

apologies about the misunderstanding over 'resolution' as in 'screen size', as opposed to 'resolution' as in ''print size' - the word 'animation' should have been a clue, but hey it was late into the night where I am.....
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 March 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo; tidyup
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Sheff - we may have taken your thread a little to one side, but I think it all fits in the catagory of 'the output dialogs need an overhaul/streamlining'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

thanks for the replies - didn't mean to sidetrack this thread!