Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Streamline export dialog box.

The export image dialog box is horrid. Having to switch between three tabs constantly to check resolution, and alpha, transparency and what not, is incredibly inefficient.

Below is what I suggest.

This is the problem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara01.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	84971

This is a suggested solution:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara02.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	84970

Thoughts?
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Streamline export dialog box.

Well stated, Sheff.

+1

But the empty space on the first tab is populated with a color pallete when you select certain color options, 256 etc. I've not used the pallete but I guess it serves some important use. I agree it is a bit of pain tabbing for the other options which I do use more often. Maybe it's too much stuff for one tab.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    ....I've not used the pallete but I guess it serves some important use......
    sure does - limited colour export is very useful to some of us at least

I guess on the options tab, if xara were to add any, they'd go there?

could do with an overhaul .. but not for me a priority...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

+1

In addition:
    1. Switching to "page" export doesn't automatically set the export resolution to the document page res.(So i have to manually type in the export res every time)
    2. There seems to no way to get xara to default to exporting the page (it defaults to "drawing" if nothing is selected). I wish it would remember your last settings, or had an option for the default.

I export a lot of images, and one or both of these would save a whole lot of tedious clicking and typing for me.

Otherwise, I'm loving Xara. Very glad to have switched from Inkscape.

no such thing as a document page resolution in xara [or as far as I recall in inkscape]

certainly in xara all the bitmaps present may have differing resolutions, and vectors of course don't [have resolutions]

in fact the UI page area itself is set at 96ppi/dpi [and that is indeed the default export resolution], which is why when you change the size of a bitmap in xara you change its resolution relative to the 96ppi/dpi base

the program will remember your last export resolution but only for the session

it does not remember the page setting though AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no such thing as a document page resolution in xara [or as far as I recall in inkscape]

certainly in xara all the bitmaps present may have differing resolutions, and vectors of course don't [have resolutions]

in fact the UI page area itself is set at 96ppi/dpi [and that is indeed the default export resolution], which is why when you change the size of a bitmap in xara you change its resolution relative to the 96ppi/dpi base

the program will remember your last export resolution but only for the session

it does not remember the page setting though AFAIK
    The page has dimensions though (eg. 8in x11in ) and this can be specified in pixels (even though, as you say, this is based on the page dpi). By default, animation docs default to pixel dimensions which is where my brain is at right now!. I just tried a few tests, and it does look like xara is basing export sizes off the page dimensions (Specified in pixels or otherwise).

If Xara is remembering export res, that's even better, but unfortunately i still have the same issue: It doesn't remember that i was exporting "page" and when i switch to "page" its not auto-updating the export resolution, so I end up typing it all by hand anyway.

no it wont 'update the export resolution' when you switch to 'page' - like I say, the 'page' does not have one, so how can it? - the page in a vector editor is not a canvas, its just a notional frame area
    Nothing lasts forever...